Emotional Intelligence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barryggg

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Do any of you do such research, or have good resources for it?

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Wait. Isn't this the thing we learn to apply as babies?

Giggle and laugh and make mommy like you 'lot.
Cry and scream and get a nipple in your mouth.

Except later in life it gets slightly more complicated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think all psychologists find information discussing various cognitive abilities to be of interest and the field is filled with discussions of various aspects of those abilities and ways to measure the complexities of the constructs. This article that I read from google scholar summarizes some of that very well. I especially like the discussion about how to define a discrete intellectual ability and how others have used fuzzier operational definitions. Popular media tends to loves the broader overly generalized definitions unfortunately. http://www.unh.edu/emotional_intell...oper/EI1999MayerCarusoSaloveyIntelligence.pdf
I have spent very little time delving into this area of cognitive abilities personally since it is of minimal practical application at this point. If I had the time or a clone of myself to do the work, I could see myself being involved in research trying to understand this aspect of cognition better since it is connected to much of what I do on a daily basis.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes,

I am currently finishing up data collection utilizing the leading ability-based EI measure (MSCEIT 2.0) for my dissertation, so I have a bit of exposure to it ;)

I actually to think that it could have the potential to be applied clinically in the future, as it gains more empirical and theoretical validation. For example, in the medical setting, where I am doing my dissertation, EI has been used as a means for evaluation (e.g., potential medical students, resident training). I also harbor the idea that this can be applied to patients as well!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes,

I am currently finishing up data collection utilizing the leading ability-based EI measure (MSCEIT 2.0) for my dissertation, so I have a bit of exposure to it ;)

I actually to think that it could have the potential to be applied clinically in the future, as it gains more empirical and theoretical validation. For example, in the medical setting, where I am doing my dissertation, EI has been used as a means for evaluation (e.g., potential medical students, resident training). I also harbor the idea that this can be applied to patients as well!
Sounds like some interesting work. Are you working on correlates of EI measures to other variables of interest or...? I'm also curious as to how you see a measure like this applied to clinical work?

I am looking at the role or influence of EI in the "difficult physician-patient relationship" in the primary care setting, within a university family medicine residency clinic. So basically, I am gathering patient data that has been commonly seen as part of being a "difficult patient" (e.g., measures of patient personality, healthcare utilization, somatization, attachment, estimation of cognitive intelligence, depression/anxiety levels, etc.) and also having patients complete the MSCEIT 2.0

I am also gathering physician factors (as I have both faculty and residents PGY years 1-3 participating), such as their own EI, their OSCE scores (i.e., standardized patient interaction scores), PGY year, and their ratings of the level of difficulty of the individual patients that they see.

Ultimately, I am hoping to find that, through multi-level regression analysis, EI will explain a significant proportion of the variance in difficult doctor-patient relationship scores above and beyond the other important variables described above.

One of the ways that we can utilize EI in an applied sense would be to continue to see EI and a skill that can be developed. While there are no empirical papers that I know of that look at ability-based EI and somatization, there have been some theoretical lines of thought possible linking low EI and alexithymia. Of course, alexithymia has been linked to somatization, and therefore, if part of somatization involves low EI (which would entail a deficit in awareness of internal emotive states) perhaps low EI might part of the bedrock, or at least the cognitive component, of understanding etiology of somatization.

If, we as psychologists in these settings, can develop ways in which to properly identify primary care patients with low EI, we can then work with these patients to develop their own "emotional awareness" (I know, still a nebulous term) and/or help to combat the phenomena of "difficult patients" (e.g., patients that are high healthcare utilizers). This wold also include continuing to develop physician EI as a means to help them identify and work with these types of patients. There as been more progress in the EI research in this respect rather than on the patient side.

In summary, I am hoping to find that EI is a perverse variable, even in the brief primary care encounters.

Reactions: 2 users
Wait. Isn't this the thing we learn to apply as babies?

Giggle and laugh and make mommy like you 'lot.
Cry and scream and get a nipple in your mouth.

Except later in life it gets slightly more complicated.

You are describing human attachment which is preverbal, not emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence comes a little later.

Just didn't want to leave this comment un-clarified.

I totally agree. I was surprised this measure isn't used more clinically, and then I realized how damn EXPENSIVE it is (cost $50 to score one of them)...the HR folks will pay for these, but clinicians often don't have money for that kind of assessment. That said, I'm teaching the MSCEIT in my personality assessment class this year and I did have a student give it to an assessment client last semester, and it provided really useful and non-redundant information to other measures. I just wish it were more accessible financially!

I totally agree. I was surprised this measure isn't used more clinically, and then I realized how damn EXPENSIVE it is (cost $50 to score one of them)...the HR folks will pay for these, but clinicians often don't have money for that kind of assessment. That said, I'm teaching the MSCEIT in my personality assessment class this year and I did have a student give it to an assessment client last semester, and it provided really useful and non-redundant information to other measures. I just wish it were more accessible financially!

Yeah, it is an expensive and long measure for patients, but has a lot of potential! (There maybe some overlap issues with personality and cognitive intelligence depending on what theory of EI we are talking about).

As far as cost though, I only pay $6 a pop for the online version (patient completes protocol on computer, publisher scores it and I receive all raw and standardized scores for items, branches, and overall EI). I think the publisher has reduced the prices, but I do know that I receive the student researcher discount, hence the $6.