employee benefits

Started by mille125
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mille125

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the private practice docs, how much does your practice give towards employee health insurance I am not 100% but I think that my benefits are greater than most but some employees don't appreciate it (some do). Employees pay 10% of self premium, 30% of child premium, and 100 percent of spouse premium. They have a zero deductible plan.

If the HOPD folks know what the hospital employees pay, that would be helpful info too even if it is not apples to apples.

Also do any of you do co-ops with other practices. Not injecting politics but I got hit with a 36% increase in one year starting June 1st when my plan renews. Avg had previously ben 6-8 percent. This is obviously not sustainable.

Thanks....
 
For the private practice docs, how much does your practice give towards employee health insurance I am not 100% but I think that my benefits are greater than most but some employees don't appreciate it (some do). Employees pay 10% of self premium, 30% of child premium, and 100 percent of spouse premium. They have a zero deductible plan.

If the HOPD folks know what the hospital employees pay, that would be helpful info too even if it is not apples to apples.

Also do any of you do co-ops with other practices. Not injecting politics but I got hit with a 36% increase in one year starting June 1st when my plan renews. Avg had previously ben 6-8 percent. This is obviously not sustainable.

Thanks....
Screenshot 2026-03-30 083629.png


Other benefits: Life insurance, Disability, ID theft protection, 457, 403, pension, etc
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
View attachment 417236

Other benefits: Life insurance, Disability, ID theft protection, 457, 403, pension, etc
$6,000 for health insurance for a family of 4??? is it a narrow network where you have to stay within your hospital system?

I'm paying $19,000 ($732/pay) for family of 4 for the PPO plan that let's me out of my network if I need/want to see someone outside. the network option is much cheaper but no choice.
 
$6,000 for health insurance for a family of 4??? is it a narrow network where you have to stay within your hospital system?

I'm paying $19,000 ($732/pay) for family of 4 for the PPO plan that let's me out of my network if I need/want to see someone outside. the network option is much cheaper but no choice.
Appreciate info..
For family of 4. That is my portion. No idea what the hospital has to pay.


Do you know how much they charge you for self, kids, and spouse (if applicable)?

That is really my question. How does what I am paying for my employees stack up?

Private practice and hospital are different.

I will say that my plan is 0$ deductible, $20 primary copay, $40 specialists so that is quite different from what you describe.


And Steve....what is your deductible if you don't mind?
 
$6,000 for health insurance for a family of 4??? is it a narrow network where you have to stay within your hospital system?

I'm paying $19,000 ($732/pay) for family of 4 for the PPO plan that let's me out of my network if I need/want to see someone outside. the network option is much cheaper but no choice.
I’m at $900 a month for Aetna ppo for family of 4
 
Does anyone know the breakdown?
Do your employers have you pay a certain percent for self, children, spouse?

Are you health benefits the same as staff or different?

My staff pay 10 percent self premium, 30 percent child premium, and 100 percent spouse premium. I wanted tobsee how it stacks up
 
My OM is family of 4. She pays $1200 per month for zero deductible plan but real cost to employer is $4200 per month. She is 35. For someone my age in 50s the family 4 total premium is $5500.
 
My OM is family of 4. She pays $1200 per month for zero deductible plan but real cost to employer is $4200 per month. She is 35. For someone my age in 50s the family 4 total premium is $5500.
You're generous with a zero deductible plan

Even when I was employed people had a deductible of 2500 . Mine is 5000. I pay for family of 4 (self employed) about $1700/month. It's an anthem ppo
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're generous with a zero deductible plan

Even when I was employed people had a deductible of 2500 . Mine is 5000. I pay for family of 4 (self employed) about $1700/month. It's an anthem ppo
How much do you make your employee's pay for family and child and self?
 
I have a high deductible health plan and the total costs is less than $2000 per quarter. I have my own policy, my wife and kids are on another together. They couldn’t do a single policy for us all as they required a group of 2.
 
Conditions vary greatly, but in general, employers' contributions to insurance and premiums are now increasing, so many are reviewing plans or looking for savings options
Employers are in control of what they contribute. They can contribute nothing even though that would not be competitive for self plans.
 
We pay 100% of our employee's health insurance, but don't cover their spouse or children. Those can be added in at cost to the employee. It's a high-deductible plan, BCBS, but we also give $2500 into their HSA as well.

Our insurances costs also jumped 25% this year. For myself, I pay $28K per year for myself and family (plus the $8550 HSA contribution)
 
We pay 100% of our employee's health insurance, but don't cover their spouse or children. Those can be added in at cost to the employee. It's a high-deductible plan, BCBS, but we also give $2500 into their HSA as well.

Our insurances costs also jumped 25% this year. For myself, I pay $28K per year for myself and family (plus the $8550 HSA contribution)
That is generous. You are obviously a good employer that wants to keep staff.
 
texas... actually it is 3400 per month. The premium increased this year. We are healthy and never see a doctor except for annual physicals
that's insane... you gotta talk to your employer. What a freaking racket. Health insurance is such a scam
 
@jsaul

OSMA Health. They cover Texas. You will save like $20,000 a year. I would like a Ohtani chrome rookie card for Christmas. I can’t imagine how much you would save if you roll your employees in.

Bob

OSMA Health
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
interesting you mention phone service.

i might remind you that the fact you intiially had t mobile, mint, qualcomm is because there was kind of a pretty big government decision to broke up Bell. this government role increases competition, but im sure thats not what you want.

businesses try to consolidate. that is capitalism. they give you the illusion that there is a wide market.

Fwiw, Tmobile bought Mint Mobile, so your Mint phone is actually Tmobile. Tmobile recently acquired US Cellular. ATT bought Cellular One and tried to buy Tmobile but was blocked by the feds. Bell Atlantic and GTE merged to form Verizon. Verizon bought Vodafone's stake in Verizon wireless. Verizon also purchased Tracfone. ATT merged with BellSouth. Sprint merged with Nextel. Tmobile then bought Sprint.

in terms of other industries, the media industry is also actively consolidating.
we are seeing it actively occurring in the recent talks of mergers of Paramount and Warner Bros Discovery. Warner Bro DIscovery, which at one point or other in time used to be Time, AOL, TBS, CNN, AT&T media, and Discovery. Paramount used to be Paramount, CBS, Skydance, and Viacom, that has purchased MTV and Showtime. Disney merged with Hulu, 20th Century Fox, and Pixar.

in the end, instead of 13+ individual media entities, we will have 1.


we have the illusion of choice.