Employee vs PLLC vs ???

Started by YokYee
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

YokYee

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One thing optometry school does not prepare you for is how to begin after graduation. I had business classes during school but I am still confused. After graduation, I think I will be working at two different practices during the week. My question is what kind of employment status is more advantageous? I've heard it's less confusing as an employee but you get more tax benefits as an independent contractor. Any suggestions?
 
One thing optometry school does not prepare you for is how to begin after graduation. I had business classes during school but I am still confused. After graduation, I think I will be working at two different practices during the week. My question is what kind of employment status is more advantageous? I've heard it's less confusing as an employee but you get more tax benefits as an independent contractor. Any suggestions?

Yes you can write off my tax deductions as IC but you have to pay self-employment taxes. Employers like having ICs because they don't have to pay taxes on you.

My suggestion is to find an employment job. If you cannot, then do independent contractor.
 
Yes you can write off my tax deductions as IC but you have to pay self-employment taxes. Employers like having ICs because they don't have to pay taxes on you.

My suggestion is to find an employment job. If you cannot, then do independent contractor.

Aren't you better of being an independent contractor, since you can write off stuff like food, fuel, cell-phone bills, to some extent.