Employment for Non-Trads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proprietary

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to get a job in a health-care setting . . . I am 23 years old and right now I work for an accounting firm. I really can't stand it here and I feel like it is sucking the life out of me and making me completely miserable. Does anyone have any advice for me on getting a job in a hospital or other healthcare setting, even though I have a business degree and limited clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat. Volunteering for the clinical experience is not an option. Class tuition for certification in something health-related is not an option. I have kids to feed...

Guys? Any ideas?

The task proved to be impossible for me, at least where I live. I gave up trying. The closest thing I am being contacted for right now is lab work, and the market it so tight. Maybe you can give it a try.
But I may be back to administrative and clerical work very soon. Mama has adcoms to feed :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a science background at all, you could try to get into research. Even if it's doing market research for a medical device company or pipetting the same junk over and over, it's probably a little closer to where you want to be than where you are now. and it'll be easier to spin to make it sound like "relevant experience" on your application. As far as volunteering/clinical experience, mine's limited, but I found shadowing to be the easiest way - it takes very little time and gives you a good idea of what goes on. and you don't have to be screened for TB. I'm in the middle of the application process right now, so I'll find out if it's enough clinical experience or not pretty soon.

How did you go about finding a "shadowing" opportunity?
Thanks

sfbear said:
If you have a science background at all, you could try to get into research. Even if it's doing market research for a medical device company or pipetting the same junk over and over, it's probably a little closer to where you want to be than where you are now. and it'll be easier to spin to make it sound like "relevant experience" on your application. As far as volunteering/clinical experience, mine's limited, but I found shadowing to be the easiest way - it takes very little time and gives you a good idea of what goes on. and you don't have to be screened for TB. I'm in the middle of the application process right now, so I'll find out if it's enough clinical experience or not pretty soon.

Well, my mom's co-worker's daughter is a doctor, so I contacted her to see if she would be willing to let me shadow her. That worked for me, but if you don't have any connections, I've heard of plenty of people just randomly calling up doctors to see if they'd be game. I also imagine, if you live near a university, a doctor who's research or field you find interesting (since that stuff along with email addresses is almost always listed) would be willing to help you.

You can find a job at an assisted living community for about $10/hour. Practically volunteer work, but you really dont need any certs to get hands on experience. If you have more time, try to get emt maybe.

Depending on the area you live in (I think the certification requirements vary), you might be able to get a job as an ER tech. I just got a job working as an ER tech in a local hospital (I volunteered there for about 4 months earlier this year).

The pay isn't great (~$10/hr) - but the experience is awesome. I do all the clinical side (take vitals for all patients coming in - including when necessary hooking up the EKG, will eventually do phlebotomy, and generally help out with whatever comes up). Plus, I do much of the computer work (entering patients, discharging, ordering tests and labs).

I do think finding a job like this is a bit of a luck of the draw. Find a hospital that doesn't require an EMT or CNA certificate, then know someone who is willing to take a chance on you.

I've also heard that Ambulance companies will pay for your EMT certificate if you work for them after class. But that work sounds like crap. Just glorified transporters. But it is something . . . ..

If you can swing taking a couple months to get qualified, I think an EMT cert would help you immensely getting a job in a local ER. Might want to ask around your area.

Good Luck