Employment Gap Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruyi593

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you for your time! Just wanted some guidance from the adcoms (including but not limited to @LizzyM , @Goro , @gyngyn ) on how to explain my current situation on the AMCAS:

I took some time off to focus on the MCAT with the intention to find employment afterwards. With it being pushed back (cancelled twice) amidst the COVID pandemic, I have yet to secure an employment position, therefore have a pretty large gap in my application. Any thoughts on the following:

1. Submit the AMCAS without having a work/activity with any information on what I am currently doing?
2. Submit the AMCAS with an idea of what positions I am looking for, but have yet to secure?
3. Submit the AMCAS after securing a position, but in turn delay my intended submission date?

Also, could you please suggest ways in which I can explain the gap? During the time, I helped grocery shop for multiple at-risk elders, but I am concerned that is not a "valid" experience.

Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Thank you for your time! Just wanted some guidance from the adcoms (including but not limited to @LizzyM , @Goro , @gyngyn ) on how to explain my current situation on the AMCAS:

I took some time off to focus on the MCAT with the intention to find employment afterwards. With it being pushed back (cancelled twice) amidst the COVID pandemic, I have yet to secure an employment position, therefore have a pretty large gap in my application. Any thoughts on the following:

1. Submit the AMCAS without having a work/activity with any information on what I am currently doing?
2. Submit the AMCAS with an idea of what positions I am looking for, but have yet to secure?
3. Submit the AMCAS after securing a position, but in turn delay my intended submission date?

Also, could you please suggest ways in which I can explain the gap? During the time, I helped grocery shop for multiple at-risk elders, but I am concerned that is not a "valid" experience.

Thank you so much in advance!

I'm not sure whether you are currently in college or already graduated, but I think its fine to submit as is. #2 is a definite no - you would not write an activity on something you aren't doing. And for #3 the difference between not listing something, and listed something you've just started is minimal. Your application is made up of a multitude of things including your long term experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many people who graduate in the spring and apply at the time of graduation don't have a job at the time that they make the AMCAS application. Some schools ask for info in that regard in the secondary and some want that info only if you've had a gap year.

this year in particular you won't be alone in this situation of unemployment. Shopping for homebound elders during the pandemic is a valid volunteer activity.