• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Employment Gap Question

ruyi593

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2018
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello,

Thank you for your time! Just wanted some guidance from the adcoms (including but not limited to @LizzyM , @Goro , @gyngyn ) on how to explain my current situation on the AMCAS:

I took some time off to focus on the MCAT with the intention to find employment afterwards. With it being pushed back (cancelled twice) amidst the COVID pandemic, I have yet to secure an employment position, therefore have a pretty large gap in my application. Any thoughts on the following:

1. Submit the AMCAS without having a work/activity with any information on what I am currently doing?
2. Submit the AMCAS with an idea of what positions I am looking for, but have yet to secure?
3. Submit the AMCAS after securing a position, but in turn delay my intended submission date?

Also, could you please suggest ways in which I can explain the gap? During the time, I helped grocery shop for multiple at-risk elders, but I am concerned that is not a "valid" experience.

Thank you so much in advance!

chaim123

Almost an MD
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2016
  1. Medical Student
Hello,

Thank you for your time! Just wanted some guidance from the adcoms (including but not limited to @LizzyM , @Goro , @gyngyn ) on how to explain my current situation on the AMCAS:

I took some time off to focus on the MCAT with the intention to find employment afterwards. With it being pushed back (cancelled twice) amidst the COVID pandemic, I have yet to secure an employment position, therefore have a pretty large gap in my application. Any thoughts on the following:

1. Submit the AMCAS without having a work/activity with any information on what I am currently doing?
2. Submit the AMCAS with an idea of what positions I am looking for, but have yet to secure?
3. Submit the AMCAS after securing a position, but in turn delay my intended submission date?

Also, could you please suggest ways in which I can explain the gap? During the time, I helped grocery shop for multiple at-risk elders, but I am concerned that is not a "valid" experience.

Thank you so much in advance!

I'm not sure whether you are currently in college or already graduated, but I think its fine to submit as is. #2 is a definite no - you would not write an activity on something you aren't doing. And for #3 the difference between not listing something, and listed something you've just started is minimal. Your application is made up of a multitude of things including your long term experiences.

About the Ads

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
  1. Academic Administration
Many people who graduate in the spring and apply at the time of graduation don't have a job at the time that they make the AMCAS application. Some schools ask for info in that regard in the secondary and some want that info only if you've had a gap year.

this year in particular you won't be alone in this situation of unemployment. Shopping for homebound elders during the pandemic is a valid volunteer activity.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.