Question About Gap Year Choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1 gap year or 2?

Results are only viewable after voting.

gibbsfreeenergy25

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm a junior at UT Austin studying Biochemistry. I'm considering my options for a gap year. Texas 4000 is an organization at my university that raises funds for cancer research and support services while promoting prevention and early detection. I want to participate in their summer 2025 bike ride, but I'm concerned about the timing. It would be difficult to complete medical school application requirements while on the ride with limited access to resources. However, Texas 4000 is close to my heart, and I want to make a meaningful impact.

I'm currently interning at MD Anderson, focused on Pancreatic cancer research and shadowing an different surgeons and oncologist. This experience has deepened my understanding of cancer and my desire to help patients. I have personal connections to cancer through my family and friends, and I feel compelled to advocate for them. Texas 4000 would allow me to advocate for current cancer patients.

I plan to take the MCAT in summer 2024. If I participate in Texas 4000, I would have to delay my medical school applications to the 2026 cycle to ensure I have enough time to prepare strong applications. I don't want to compromise my chances of acceptance by rushing through the process. Is it reasonable to apply in 2026 and continue working at MD Anderson during my gap years? Would skipping the 2025 application cycle and applying the following year be a better choice? I want to focus solely on my application when the time comes.

Joining Texas 4000 could strengthen my motivation for medicine, and I could discuss it in my application. It would allow me to contribute to the fight against cancer from a unique perspective and benefit patients and research institutions. However, I'm uncertain about whether to join Texas 4000 and take two gap years or skip it and take only one gap year. Would taking two gap years in any way affect my application? Would it be harder to get into medical school the longer I take to apply? I would appreciate any advice or guidance!

Members don't see this ad.

Many of the clinical research positions require a two year commitment so two gap years would be ideal. Bonus if you can get some publications during your gap years to set you up for a strong residency application.