Employment in US post-Canadian training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ConfusedChemist

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For Canadians who are open to the idea of practicing in the US one day (given the horrible job market in many specialties here) is USMLE step1 the only exam needed to work in the US on a 'good' H1B visa? I've done some searching into this, but I was hoping for a bit of clarification that I wasn't missing things.

I'm willing to write Step 1 in med school to keep options open, but I am planning on doing residency here. I realize this isn't really feasible for things like neurosurg, but for gen surg, for example, would this approach be ok?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad