Employment while applying- Please help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PalCareGrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I need some opinions here- I am currently working in a chiropractor's office which has been a great experience as far as patient contact, etc... but I don't agree with the owners (the are very immature and don't know how to run a business, be fair to employees, etc...) so I have been very unhappy for the past two months and have begun to look for other employment. While I was reading the classifieds this morning, I saw that the owners of the office (they live out of state) had posted my position!!! They have not said anything to me about this and they do not know that I am looking to leave. My question is: I have five to six years of medically related employment and volunteer experience, do I need to stay in the health care field this year or could I just get any job? I just moved to Dayton, Ohio where no one is really hiring and people are getting laid off left and right. I am very depressed, but I don't want to do anything to jeapordize my applications. Opinions and support from you guys would be of great help right now. :) (I'm debating trying to either work at Barnes and Noble or take a full-time coaching position at the gymnastics place where I work part-time). Thanks guys! :(

Members don't see this ad.

If I were in your position i would first make sure i had a job that could pay my bills. Sounds like the job market there is not condusive to selectivity. No matter what you choose, if you get asked why you were in that particular job, either find something positive to focus upon, or simply explain that you had to have an income and that was your best option at the time. Do what seems most reasonable and "how it looks on a resume" will work itself out. Just my two cents.

PalCareGrl,

I agree with SunnyOne. Seems like you're pretty much fed up with your current job.... If you feel you need to continue your medically related job then do so, if not then I say pursue something completely different.... it may give you a different perspective in life or be something "colorful" in your app.

You said you have enough medical experience so I'm sure your apps will not get jeopardized.

As for your current position being posted, you may want to make sure before you make any drastic decisions.... seems like the employment opportunities are pretty tough there.

Basically, to answer your question.... You don't have to stay in the medical field, but if you do leave it make sure it'll pay the bills ;)

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Two things...

First...Chiropractor = medical field? Umm...OK

Second...if you worked at a gas station to pay tuition, I don't know of anyone who would hold that against you.

Let's face it, college is expensive. Medical school a helluva lot more expensive. You are going to need the cash to pay for it. You are going to need the cash to pay rent, buy food, and buy clothes.

Get a job that will supply you with sufficient funds. If it is medically related, that's great.

I say go with the gymnastics. Sounds like it could be fun!

Good luck to you.

If you are working at a chiropractor's office just for medical experience for applications to med. school (osteopathic or allopathic) I would recommend choosing something more relevant. Chiropractors are generally not considered equivalent. I am not trying to disparage the profession, but give you realistic advice on useful extracurricular experience.
Admissions committees like volunteerism (community, religious, youth, etc.), medically relevant experience (to show you know what it is to be a physician), research (esp. if you can publish - hard to do at your stage), and a well rounded life (interests outside of medicine - anything that can set you appart and make you memorable).
If you are able to get a job with a physician or working in a hospital as a paraproffesional, that would be better than your current situation. Otherwise, find any job that pays the bills, then volunteer in the community and at a hospital. Quiting your current job with or without the volunteering will have no effect on your application standing.

Good luck,
MSIV

Hi,
Thanks for everyone's advice! When I meant medically related as it applys to the chiropractic office in which I work, I meant that right now I take vitals on patients and help set them up on physical therapy (as they routinely do in other MD and DO offices). I have plenty of medical experience, so I think that I'm going to try to just relax, have fun, and make some money! Thanks guys! :)