EMS Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

looneytune

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am highly interested in doing an EMS fellowship following an EM residency. However, there were a few things I wanted to ask. Are the hours that an EMS physician works comparable to those of an average EM physician (36+ hours)? Also, is the salary about the same? After researching a bit on EMS, it seems as though they work for the county government as opposed to a PP group. Does anyone know if EMS physicians regularly work in a group like EM's do? Thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

EMS medical director jobs span the full range from volunteer part-time positions (where the physician is also part of a private group) to part time paid (in combination with a private or academic clinical job) to full time paid (+/- part time clinical work). The employers may be government (e.g., fire departments or third service agencies) or private (numerous private ambulance or air transport companies).

EMS medical director jobs span the full range from volunteer part-time positions (where the physician is also part of a private group) to part time paid (in combination with a private or academic clinical job) to full time paid (+/- part time clinical work). The employers may be government (e.g., fire departments or third service agencies) or private (numerous private ambulance or air transport companies).

Thanks for the response. Does anyone know if the pay per hour of shift work is comparable to an attending EM physician? I don't want to make it seem like this is all about money, just wondering if doing the fellowship in EMS would be worth dropping $250k (I have a family). Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. Does anyone know if the pay per hour of shift work is comparable to an attending EM physician? I don't want to make it seem like this is all about money, just wondering if doing the fellowship in EMS would be worth dropping $250k (I have a family). Thanks again.

Nothing you are going to do (except maybe expert testimony) is going to come close to the hourly rate you'll make in the ED.

My only data point here is that a local medical director who is full time with a fire department got around $190k four years ago (published salary data). Not bad but I suspect you can make more in the ED.