EMT-B premed looking for experience/job advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeftHandedArnold

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently just got certified as an EMT-B and have begun searching for jobs in the field. Right now my current plan is to work as an EMT full-time during my gap year while continuing to volunteer and study for the MCAT. I'm located in a large city and from what I've seen so far the only open positions for newly minted EMT basics is doing inter-facility ambulance transfer with occasional 911 ALS assistance or working as an ER tech.

I've got some hesitancy about doing the interfacility transfer thing since I've seen a few here mention that they are nothing more than "glorified ambulance drivers." Is this true in the sense that adcoms might look down on it? Would I be better off just working in the ER? Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I PM'd you. Depends on what part of the country you live in. I would not say adcoms look down on IFTs. More falls on personal preference.

Reactions: 1 user
Been a long time since I did EMS but imo ER tech is likely to be more relevant experience for med school than IFT, but if its going to be your main gap year job you'll of course want to consider additional factors like pay, etc (you gotta pay rent and feed yourself). See if you can talk to people who have done those jobs in your area to find out what their experience was like (does occasional 911 assistance mean like once a day, week, or a year?). 911 is best if you can find it, you could also look around to see if there are local volunteer squads where you could get 911 experience while getting your paycheck from the IFT work. options vary hugely by region though.

Reactions: 1 user