Emt-b Vs. Cna

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

love_plague

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am taking a CPR class this summer. I am choosing between taking an EMT-Basic class this coming fall or taking a CNA class [A class for Certified Nurse Aide]. Which one would benefit me more in the aspect of medicine (e.g. preparation for medical school, clinical experiences, and etc)

P.S. I volunteer in the Emergency Department at the local hospital and in a local nursing home. So, I am compatible with working in both fields. But, I just don't know which one is most benefitcial.

Please help me :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

you better do EMT......you get loads of emergency experience....trauma, medical, etc. you can go on to medic and do advanced skills.....

all CNA's do are wipe butts, change diapers, and bathe old people.....it not really any medical experience whatsoever

I say go the EMT route.... much better experience, you will learn much more clinically/academically, and actually be responsible for good patient care (rather than just bathing/changing diapers/etc with no clinical responsibility/knowledge). Let me just share some of the CNA's I have met by riding on the ambulance over the past week...

1) CNA called an ambulance 6 and a half hours after an 82-yo man fell, because he had a head laceration with "uncontrollable bleeding." Upon my arrival, it was barely oozing. I successfully controlled the bleeding with a 4x4 piece of gauze and tape. CNA still insisted on transport to the furthest hospital. Upon arrival at the hospital, the patient was discharged about 3 min 29 seconds after we got him in the hospital bed. The only reason it took so long was that the MD had to remove all the immobilization gear we had to put on the patient... even though he managed to survive 6.5 hours without any neuro deficits.

2) CNA at an assisted living facility called 911 because she noticed bruises on a patient that had just moved in that day. Patient was found in bed and denies falling. By the coloration of the bruises, they were at least 1-2 weeks old. Again, CNA demanded transport to ED. Again, the patient was summarily discharged without x-rays or treatment, as soon as the MD could remove the backboard.

3) CNA at a nursing home notices that one of her residents hasn't been seen since lunch the day before. Goes to check on the patient, and concludes that she must be tired because she is still sleeping. When the patient doesn't show up for the next day's meal, she finally decides to call 911. This CNA was unable to recognize the signs and symptoms of stroke, and let the patient stroke out for 48 hrs. This basically means she killed the patient, since the therapy of choice (TPA) has a 3-hour window from start of symptoms.

The scary part is, I could go on and on with hundreds of more examples... Do yourself a favor, the EMT class/EMS work will gain you loads more clinical experience, will better prepare you for med school, will be more fun, and you might actually get a clue :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You said the magic word: "medicine."

EMT is the very very lowest level of medical training available. In a few months, you learn a very few key things, and what you're learning is medicine. According to my instructor (a veteran Paramedic and smart-ass) it's about one half of 1% of what a 2nd-year EM resident should know, but although it's barely stratching the surface, it's still medical training.

Nursing is the absolutely vital and indispensible grouping of skills that make patient care possible, but it's not medicine. The difference isn't smarts or dedication, it's just a point of view thing*. People usually are into one more than the other. If you're sure you're into medicine, go EMT.

* If you're into taking care of people, and knowing (in general) how to do what you need to do, and (usually) when to do it, go with the nursing route. It can be very rewarding to be the person responsible for helping someone recover. If you're into problem-solving, and knowing (in general) why something is happening, and you like (usually) being the one to decide what intervention needs to be started to correct the problem, that would be medicine.

Thank you so much for all of your responses : :)

I say that your best route is EMT. Beyond the basics of disease processed it teaches one to make dcisions. This single skill may be the one to get you in to school. I know that many schools ask questions and you have to make desisions about somehting. EMS provides the framework from which to start.

Did we really expect someone to post a reply urging the OP to become a CNA?

I mean, it is the EMS forum...

I had been thinking the same thing....

paramed2premed said:

What is "OP" :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: ?

OP means Original Poster. Its sort of like gansta rap where OG means Original Gansta. In this thread, love_plague=OP.

paramed2premed said:

We are kinda biast in that way....
but EMS kicks ass anyways, so what the hell..:D
but all of us have one of two things in common atleast--

1. We are in EMS
2. We know someone in EMS

Im a CNA working as a ED tech in a Hospital.
As a tech I’ve seen that people that come with their cna license have a better approach to patients and family members than a EMT .Not only they know how to do fundamental nursing care , but also we’re trained in a more caring , palliative and comforting way. The course of CNA and EMT take about the same time to obtain a certification . I would say if ur inclination is more into paramedic , driving an ambulance then go for EMT , but if you are more into nursing , ERs , PA , NP , RN school , become a CNA . They even give you 5 credit points when applying to a program in college for one of the degrees mention above . They don’t accept EMT experience when going into nursing or if your goal is to challenge the Nclex board exam . As a ed tech they don’t really care if they hire cnas or emts in the ED . At the end of the day a cna has an easier time getting “that job” because of all different ways we get trained . I get floated to ICUs , Mother baby units , oncology . EMTs can’t float in hospital because they are missing that key in their training that CNAs obtain , and that becomes a conflict for the employer .EMT sounds fun , but it’s extremely hard to find a job . You got a couple options ; is either driving an ambulance most of your shift or in the ER which they won’t stand a chance next to a cna . My day to day duties as a Ed Tech , CNA ; EKGs , vitals signs , telemetry monitoring , wound care , splints , casts , basic life support , feeding , trauma bay , CPR ADLS etc

Last edited:
My wife worked as a CNA for several years and now works as an EMT while she prepares to take her paramedic exam. She much prefered EMT over CNA. She is also able to have pretty decent depth of conversation with me (a 1st year medical student) whereas CNAs that I have talked to have no idea what I'm saying. If you want the medical school route, I'd definitely recommend EMT over CNA. EMT also qualifies you to work in the ER and you should be just fine working there.

CNA, from what I can see, is more of a pre-nursing kind of certification. I have some friends in medical school who worked as CNAs, so it isn't out of the question by any means. That being said, my friends who worked as EMTs and Paramedics before coming have a really good base of knowledge for emergency settings. Also, I'm pretty sure the former paramedic could stick an IV in his sleep with his toes. That's a neat skill. Learn to do IVs with your toes and you'll impress everyone except risk management (aka don't actually do it)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I am taking a CPR class this summer. I am choosing between taking an EMT-Basic class this coming fall or taking a CNA class [A class for Certified Nurse Aide]. Which one would benefit me more in the aspect of medicine (e.g. preparation for medical school, clinical experiences, and etc)

P.S. I volunteer in the Emergency Department at the local hospital and in a local nursing home. So, I am compatible with working in both fields. But, I just don't know which one is most benefitcial.

Please help me :confused:

Im an EMT-B working as an ER tech/Trauma tech. I don't see either CNA or EMT-B having the upper hand when it comes to pursuing medical school. If you want to be a nurse (RN, NP, etc) then CNA would be a good foundation, if you are trying to be a paramedic then EMT-B would be better. If you are going towards DO or MD, it will not matter. People are obsessed with thinking there's a "pre-doctor" job that will give you a leg up, when there really is not. The depth and level of education and training is much more advanced in medical school that any other "job" can provide. You will however gain experience talking to patients and you will see quite a bit. I am starting DO school this August, and of the 9 interviews I went to, none asked me about my experience as an EMT, ER tech, or Trauma Tech. You can however use working as a CNA or EMT as clinical experience, and thats about it. Best of luck, if you need any help, please feel free to message me.