EMT basic or CNA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spyyder31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to have a little extra time this upcoming semester and I was thinking about taking either the EMT basic or CNA class. What I am most interested in is the clinical part of the training. Which one give a more intensive clinical focus? I realize that neither one may give extensive clinical training, but I was just hoping to find a comparison between the two. I don't expect this to fulfill my clinical background for my application, I also am, and will continue doing a lot of volunteer work, It is something that really interests me. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a PT and from what I know of CNA's is that they do little more than clean bedrooms and dress patients. This was in a nursing home so I am not sure how it is in other settings. They do learn how to take blood pressures but that about it. I would propably go with the EMT.

Spyyder31:

When I was a freshman in college I did CNA training. It was an interesting experience because you did get to to take care of the patients and have a chance to rotate through nursing home and a hospital. It gave me an appreciation of what it is like to be in a hospital setting as not just a volunteer but a member of the team. EMT is probably more for people geared for life as a doctor, so it will be a good experience and CNA is more about direct patient care (nursing) so it should also be a good experience.

One thing for sure is that you should defiently do one or the other. Not only will medical schools favor you because of this experience but you will also find out whether you enjoy this knd of work and get a deeper insight into the medical profession

Arti

Members don't see this ad :)
I did EMT-Basic training. Just to warn you, it is a substantial time and money commitment. You must pay tuition, buy books and equipment, malpractice insurance, and pay for the EMT-Basic National Registry exam. I think I paid about $1000 for my EMT-Basic certification. I also spent about six hours a week in class or studying, plus a 24 hour ambulance internship and 12 hour ER internship.

In the end, I never worked as an EMT (I spent my summers doing research), but I did volunteer in an ER. As a volunteer they didn't let me use any EMT-B skills. However, I did gain substantial exposure to medicine, physical examination, etc. It might give me a slight advantage when we're learning clinical skills in med. school.

I'm a CNA on a part-time basis and I agree that the basic job description REQUIRES little beyond taking vitals, changing linen and dealing with CODE BROWNS (i.e. poop
smile.gif
).

I have found than it is also a position which offers a lot of opportunities for learning: I have honed my phlebotomy skills, changed dressings, performed EKG's, assisted with minor surgeries including implanting central lines, developed my instincts for the needs of patients with specific diseases like diabetes and lupus, become familiar with medication regimens, treatment plans and indications of symptomatology, and on and on and on...I've even gotten over my self-consciouness about communicating with doctors one-on-one--a very important skill.

You have to make of it what you will, but a good inquisitive CNA can become an important part of the team and experience first hand the reality of the profession.

Good luck......

------------------
----It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive.

RL Stevenson