EMT LOR for Science LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajkby52

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if getting a letter from the paramedic firefighter who taught my EMT course would be okay to pass as a science letter. I only have 1 science and 1 history letter from professors. 1 from a course I TA'ed, and one from a volunteer resource in addition, making it 4 right now. Wondering if I should ask my EMT course instructor for a letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if getting a letter from the paramedic firefighter who taught my EMT course would be okay to pass as a science letter. I only have 1 science and 1 history letter from professors. 1 from a course I TA'ed, and one from a volunteer resource in addition, making it 4 right now. Wondering if I should ask my EMT course instructor for a letter.

It's a great idea if they know you well, BUT it doesn't count as science.

The science letter needs to be from a doctorate-holder who teaches a class you were enrolled in.

You generally need:
-2 Science letters (from a PhD who taught you in a class)
-1 Non-science letter (same as above)

And depending on the school you may also need:
-Letter from a prof in your major
-Letter from someone whose lab you worked in

And if it helps you:
-Letters from employers or other respectable people with whom you spent a considerable amount of time and who know you very well.

The firefighter would fit the latter category. I satisfied all 5 with 3 letters, but it's good to have all of them satisfied (if applicable) just in case

Zoom-Zoom is right - science LORs need to come from academic science courses for which you received credit.

If your EMT instructor knows you well, it might be a good extra LOR to get, but otherwise, LORs from employers or whatever tend to be better since they will have known you longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another thing to consider is volunteering or working for your school's ambulance if they have one - The faculty advisor or medical director or whomever might be a medical school professor who would be good to get a LOR from.

http://www.ncemsf.org

The science letter needs to be from a doctorate-holder who teaches a class you were enrolled in.
I think this depends on the school. At least some schools will accept letters from anyone who taught you in a science class. I still don't think that an EMT instructor's letter would be acceptable in lieu of a science letter.

yeah I heard that it doesn't count as a science, just wanted to check since I already graduated and I haven't been able to get a second science. Was hoping to take a CC course and ask a professor there, but wasn't able to get into any this summer... Don't really know what to do about that now.

I did have my EMT instructor write me a letter, but as an outside letter, not as a science professor. Definitely use it if you think he knows you well and it will be very good.