EMT or phebolotomy courses in LA?

Started by zbruinz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zbruinz

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I live in LA, and I plan on getting my EMT or phebolotomy (excuse the spelling) degree this summer, I know of the UCLA courses, but they seem too expensive, does anyone else know of a good place to take EMT or phebolotomy course in LA?

Which one will give me more exposure to patients and will pay more?
 
zbruinz said:
I live in LA, and I plan on getting my EMT or phebolotomy (excuse the spelling) degree this summer, I know of the UCLA courses, but they seem too expensive, does anyone else know of a good place to take EMT or phebolotomy course in LA?

Which one will give me more exposure to patients and will pay more?

phlebotomy. do you want to draw labs or participate in emergency medicine? 2 totally different jobs.
 
Phlebotomy will let you talk with more pt's, but as an EMT you will have more chance to actually treat pt's. My wife is a phlebotomist and a paramedic. She really only does the phlebotomy thing for a little extra cash. She equates the phlebotomy to factory work. You go into a room, put a needle in someone's arm, and watch little bottles fill up with blood, over and over and over again. She says while working as a phlebotomist the most interaction is just the little time she gets to have a short conversation with the pt's.
My wife enjoys the paramedic thing a lot more than working as a phlebotomist. Even though as an EMT you will not get to perform as advanced skills on pt's, you will still have to establish a trust with your pt's and perform assessments, establish and implement treatments, and work with other medical personell from nurses to doctors. There is usually something a little different about every call, so you will probably not be as bored as an EMT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The UCLA courses are definitely worth the price. The instructors are clear, intelligent, and experienced, they know what they're talking about, and don't mind fielding all sorts of questions. The students are also a good mix of pre-fire, pre-med, pre-paramedic, and just general wanna-be-an-EMTs, so it's hard not to fit in, which is super cool if you're a non-traditional student.

Also, they're very accomodating --- I took ill halfway through my course and couldn't complete it, and they're working with me. Very cool, and totally uncommon.
 
zbruinz said:
I live in LA, and I plan on getting my EMT or phebolotomy (excuse the spelling) degree this summer, I know of the UCLA courses, but they seem too expensive, does anyone else know of a good place to take EMT or phebolotomy course in LA?

Which one will give me more exposure to patients and will pay more?

More varied exposure to diverse patients --> EMT

Pay more --> Phlebotomy