EMT/Paramed Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USFOptho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always been curious: How much does each level of EMT make, on average, and how do paramedics fare? I've heard that the top paid are the life-flight parameds. Comments?

Members don't see this ad.

In Chicago:

(All Pre Tax, all dependant on the OT taken and the Private Company)

Private EMTS's = ~$19K-22K
Private Paramedics= ~$4-7 extra per hour.

Public EMT's (City)= ~$35K
Public EMT's (Suburb)= ~$45K
Public Paramedics (City)=~$45K
Public Paramedics (Suburbs)=~$65
Public FF and EMT's (City)=~$40K
Public FF and Paramedics (City)=~$50K
Public FF and EMT's (Suburb)=~$50K
Public FF and Paramedics (Suburbs)=~$70K

Please note that all FTO's(Field Trainig Officers get an additions .25 to .50 /hour for both city and suburbs.

Chicago does not have any EMT-I's (Although Illinois does)

Champaign, Illinois

(Urbana has a $1 difference for Paramedics that are training officers)

Arrow EMT=~$28K
Proffessional EMT=~$30K
Arrow Paramedic=~$ 35
Proffessional Paramedic=~$38

Urbana City=~$35K
Champaing City=~$38K
(All are Paramedics and FF'S)

Carle ED Tech=~$16/hr
Covenant ED Tech=~$17/hr (Must have phlobtomy)

I hope this help you figure out the diffrences between a metropolis and rural cities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Suburbia where I worked for years as a medic for a county service (public) i started at 34,000/year back in '97.........i believe starting now is about 38,000/year.

some FD's in my area are starting in hihg 20's and in 5 years they have a step system that takes them to around 50,000/year.

seriously though..................working 9-11 shifts/month and making 50,000/year. FREAKIN' awesome lifestyle.

Critical Care Paramedic - Philadelphia - Hospital based - $55K

Thanks for the responses. That money is actually pretty good for the limited amount of training you all have! I have a buddy who is an engineering guru that started around 45k with a degree from a top school working for a gov't contractor. The average hours listed on that pdf aren't too shabby either!

You're right - the actual classroom training compared to many other fields is pretty good. Let's face it, at the end of the day we are technicians. My salary is a starting salary for this particular job. What I am being paid for primarily is my experience. The minimum experience required for my job is 5 years in a high volume system. I have been in EMS for 14 years. Oh my god, that is a long time. I am 31 years old and about to start medical school. I am feeling kind of old.

Muskogee, OKLA

Full Time Paramedic x 7yrs ~40k

Oh and OT makes a HUGE difference. I made 45,000 my first year with OT, double time holidays, time and a half for anything over 48 hours etc.....when you work 220 hours in a 2 week period (voluntarily) you can make a huge check.

some of the supervisors at my former service are easily clearing 55,000 to 60,000/year.

very dependant on location and experience level etc...

later

Originally posted by Medic24
... I am 31 years old and about to start medical school. I am feeling kind of old.

36 y.o., and in my first year!

Medic starting salary in Madison Co. VA: $30k. Volunteer in Charlottesville.

I have been in EMS for 14 years. Oh my god, that is a long time. I am 31 years old and about to start medical school. I am feeling kind of old.

I'm about to graduate at 33, with 8 years in EMS before school. You'll make it.

- H

Voluntary Hospital New York City Paramedics start around 45-50K, with 2-3 yrs experience 55-60K. FDNY medics get shafted only about $40K to start.

I have been in EMS for 14 years. Oh my god, that is a long time. I am 31 years old and about to start medical school. I am feeling kind of old.

I feel you're pain! 18 years in EMS, 16 as a paramedic. I'm 36 and will graduate from med school next year at 37. That'll put me at 41 graduating from EM residency.

Take care,
Jeff

Full-time paramedic, hospital-based, medium volume service - $26k/year. Starting was about $22k, I had several years experience. I think it has since gone up, starting is around $26k now. Oh yeah, in central Oklahoma.

My friend was an EMT-I for an ambulance service in California, he made minimum wage. (Plus there were a hundred people that wanted his job. Probably pre-meds)

I make about 31K a year in Texas for a private ambulance service in Dallas. The highest paid service is in Austin, and is about 40k. This is for if you are starting----if you are there a while, of course it goes up. If you want to make more, you have to also do fire or rescue. It could then go up quite a bit.

Keep in mind, salaries are also based on cost of living. It costs twice as much to live in the Yankee states.

Originally posted by 12R34Y
Oh and OT makes a HUGE difference. I made 45,000 my first year with OT, double time holidays, time and a half for anything over 48 hours etc.....when you work 220 hours in a 2 week period (voluntarily) you can make a huge check.

some of the supervisors at my former service are easily clearing 55,000 to 60,000/year.

very dependant on location and experience level etc...

later

Wow, not bad.