EMT Paramedic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slick27

controversial
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have my EMT-Basic certification and have worked as an EMT for a couple of years now. Plus I have a biomedical degree. I was wondering if their is a fast track to paramedic? Well, is there?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think many courses would count towards the paramedic program. You could always ask, but I have a feeling it would take you another 1.5 years.

I know that in South Carolina, if you already have Anatomy/Physiology, you can finish the EMT-P course in 6-9 months + time for certification.

You would have to look into your state's programs. Most places are starting accelerated programs since there is an extreme shortage of Paramedics in the US right now.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would normally take 8-12 months but there are a few 6 month accelarated courses, but I would like to remind you that medic school is a full-time job and unless you plan to work for 1+ year afterwards, your certification will be useless. You might as well work on your grades and mcat for medical school since it would take less time. If you have a few years to kill, that's another story, but even then I'd rather use my time more wisely since what you learn as a paramedic will be useless after two months in med school.

It would normally take 8-12 months but there are a few 6 month accelarated courses, but I would like to remind you that medic school is a full-time job and unless you plan to work for 1+ year afterwards, your certification will be useless. You might as well work on your grades and mcat for medical school since it would take less time. If you have a few years to kill, that's another story, but even then I'd rather use my time more wisely since what you learn as a paramedic will be useless after two months in med school.

agreed

Its very difficult to keep a medic cert up, if you're not working as a medic full time.

No.

And if there was, I wouldn't reccomend it.