EMT question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Number1Monkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question...

I am still in college. I spent about a year working as an EMT for 2 ambulance companies. How will this look on a med school app? Will it look good, does it count as an ec...?

Members don't see this ad.

Sweet. Thank you kindly. I figured it couldn't hurt me, but I guess I was just trying to assess how good of a thing it was to have on an app.

So I guess working as an ER tech next year would be a good addition too...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an EMT and I am interviewing this cycle. They will only be impressed if you demonstrate some sort of leadership, excellent communication, compassion through that experience. You just can't say "I'm an EMT" and expect them to appreciate it.

I told them that I hold 2 management positions in the organization, that I've learned through the experience that I want to be a doctor. I worked in an underserved area, so that gave me a lot to talk about in terms of where I'd like to practice medicine eventually.

I was an EMT for 3 years before applying and of course it came up on my application and inteviews. One of my interviewers specifically asked me to tell him a few call stories. After, he told me he always asks EMTs this because a lot of premeds get their certs for their applications but exaggerate the amount of clinical experience they got. As long as you are truthful, had a meaningful experience, and you can relate it to your desire to become a doctor, being an EMT is a terrific experience for your app.

One more thing, be prepared to answer "So you liked being an EMT so much, why not just become a paramedic? It's a much easier path than medicine blah blah blah..."

I read that article. That seems like a good way to look at it. I def. look at EMS as it's own seperate proffession. I got into it to be a firefighter/medic originally, but realized very quickly that being a firefighter was not for me... but I loved the medical field on my first clinical shift.