EMT training in North Carolina

Started by ztwebb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ztwebb

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. I'm a college senior looking to start EMT classes next fall or this summer if classes are available. I was wondering if any of you knew training schools near the winston-salem area and where I could get more information about them? Also, since I am new to this, how long does it take to become an EMT-basic, EMT-I, EMT-P? Thanks!

Zach
 
ztwebb said:
Hey guys. I'm a college senior looking to start EMT classes next fall or this summer if classes are available. I was wondering if any of you knew training schools near the winston-salem area and where I could get more information about them? Also, since I am new to this, how long does it take to become an EMT-basic, EMT-I, EMT-P? Thanks!

Zach

I can't answer the first part of the question (Salem, etc...)...but I can tell you how long the process is for B,I, P.

To become a B, it usually will take 6 months. However, some FD's and companies have crash courses that are 3 weeks long as well. I took the 6 month course (approx. 120 hours), but sometimes I wish I just took the crash course because 6 months was too long in my opinion.

To become an I, I would suggest like 1 year of experience as a BLS provider (EMT-B) before going through the EMT-I phase. I'm not an EMT-I but I'm an Aide/Driver for an ambulance...I'll be starting EMT-I training hopefully in September (I've been a EMT-b little over a year).

Some programs can push you from EMT-B to EMT-I to EMT-P in little less than 2 years; however, I wouldn't suggest it because although EMT-B skills are relatively easy, you really need to be a confident INDEPENDENT BLS provider before starting up with the EMT-I part.

EMT-I programs can be anywhere from 9-12 months long. Then, after you become nationally registered as an I, you can then enter a P program which will be about 5-6 more months.

The EMT-I to P program i'm heading into is a total of 18 months long (a little less than two years).

Hope this helps.

P.S. There are some really fast programs (6 months to become an EMT-P), and then there are some programs that take a long time like at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County ...it takes approx. 2 1/2 years to become an EMT-P.

Pick your poison.
 
As Edivocke said, the classroom time does vary from place to place, but in general:

EMT-B - Approx 150 hours

EMT-I - Approx an additional 50 hours

EMT-P - Approx an additional 1000-1200 hours plus ride time/precepting time


In addition it is understood that you should have a certain level of experience with a given level before you try for the next certification. I personally beleive that every paramedic student should have at LEAST a full year of full-time EMT experience with hundreds of patient contacts. In general, EMS workers are qualified as much by their experience as what's written on their rockers.
 
Thanks for the information guys. I appreciate it. Is there anyone out there that is native to North Carolina that could give me some insight on emt-basic courses near Winston-Salem, Lexington, Greensboro, or even Boone? I'll be in Boone, NC over the summer and I'm wondering if there are any emt-basic courses around here that can be completed over the summer. Thanks.