EMT v. Science Course...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Killface31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can take an EMT-B course this coming semester and eventually work with my undergrad's EMS, or I can take a science course to help my GPA. I am a non-science major, so in the future, I don't really have much opportunity to take science courses (other than the required ones). So, my question is which option would be more valuable? In terms of extracurriculars, I have an adequate amount, so it's not like I need an extracurricular. Anyway, I would like to hear your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

if you aren't going to run don't do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have volunteered at hospitals during high school. Also, if more patient interaction would be better to have, then I could simply volunteer more. This course also costs close to $1000.

HS doesn't count. Vol more.

what you did in high school doesn't count for medical school.

go volunteer somewhere and save your $ for apps

edit: if you aren't going to BE an EMT, don't take the class.

If you are confident that you will be able to run with your school's EMS and/or otherwise get involved with a running unit, then take the class.

The actual EMT-B certification means next to nothing. It's the experiences you get out of it, and what you learn from it that matters.

If you volunteer at a fire dept, you might be able to become a EMT-B for free.

If you are confident that you will be able to run with your school's EMS and/or otherwise get involved with a running unit, then take the class.

The actual EMT-B certification means next to nothing. It's the experiences you get out of it, and what you learn from it that matters.

In our state, we can't obtain one unless we affiliate with a fire department. Our state is gunner-like.

If you volunteer at a fire dept, you might be able to become a EMT-B for free.

Or if you volunteer at a volunteer EMS, chances are, they'll pay for your class. Thats what im doing. I'm taking an EMT course over this upcoming semester

in nj the state pays for the classes

and ems is completely different than hospital volunteer work. i have done both and ems is more hands-on and you learn a lot more. i am just a freshman undergrad and i think this would be a great help.

But you do have to put time into ems so make sure you have time

I plan on joining the EMS if I do get certified; however, my question now is whether joining my university's EMS is equivalent to volunteering or if the difference is insignificant. If it is, then it seems like the best course of action would be to take an extra science course. I would like to become an EMT, but if it is essentially the same to adcoms as volunteering, then it would be smarter financially to simply volunteer.

If you will only be able to join the university EMS (as opposed to a private company or fire department that does 911), I would say to skip it.

On-campus EMS should be just as important, TBH. There will be a lot of drunks, obviously, but people who visit your on-campus clinic may need emergency transport and accidents do happen.

If your GPA needs help, I would recommend trying to boost your GPA. I've read a lot from people who've gone through this process and most say that GPA is something that you only have a 1 (or 2 if doing postbac) shot of getting right. You can always add volunteer experience later. :)