EMT vs. Children's Hospital??

Started by Cognition
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cognition

Certified Brain Stabber
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the option of either working as an EMT or working in an autisim center of a children's hospital, but I don't have time to do both. Here are the pros of both:

EMT - I'm already certified and have my ambulance driving certificate. It pays! Having a steady job while still in school looks good. It would be interesting work (I would not be doing 911 calls, mostly hospital transfers).

Children's Hospital - I would be working with autistic children age 3 and under. I want to do research on autisim as one of my primary focuses later on. It volunteer work.

Any advice?
 
Choose whichever job you will enjoy more!

If earning money is more important to you at this point, choose the EMT position. If you're truly interested in working with autistic children, then you'd probably benefit from this experience. Be aware, however, that it can be extremely difficult to work with autistic children and you MUST be mentally prepared to deal with it. If you do decide on the volunteer experience, talk to people at the center so that you know what to expect.

Both will look fine on a CV, if that's what you're asking.
 
The autism work sounds like a better match to your future interests. Not to put down an EMT, but there are a lot of people capable of doing EMT work. On the other hand, there are only those select few who can do a good job with autistic children.

If you want to be a surgeon, work as an EMT cuz you'll see a lot more. If you know you want to work with autistic children down the road, the choice seems really obvious.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by tofurious
If you want to be a surgeon, work as an EMT cuz you'll see a lot more.

Except not even, really, because you said you'll be doing transfers. EMT work is worth it if you are truly on a primary response rig.

Anyway, the choice seems obvious. I'd do the autism work. Good luck.
 
You can never spend enough time around autistic kids if you really want to understand them. If this is your future area, it pays to have more experience now. I'd say work with them, it will probably be more fulfilling, and at 3 they are just diagnosed.