1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

EMT Vs. PCT

Discussion in 'Pre-Hospital [ EMS ]' started by mrt438, Apr 6, 2007.

1. mrt438

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I got my EMT-B cert last year but ended up taking a job as a PCT (nurses bitch) on the Ortho floor of Rush University Medical Center because it paid better ($13/hr) and I could start right away. Now that I'm becoming a little tiered of giving sponge baths and smelling of old lady urine I'm thinking about trying to get a job on a rig. However, when I talk to the EMT's who pick patients up from my floor it seems like I actually am getting beter health care experience than them. I basically take vitals, do accuchecks, d/c foleys and IV's, set up monitors, take urinanaylsis, bathe patients, ambulate patients, andwer call lights and help with ocasional advanced procedure. I was wondering if anyone could clue me into whether a newbie EMT would really do anything outside of my current duties. Allthough the obvious benefits of the cool uniform, light and sirens and absence of sponge baths seem like good enough reasons to jump ship.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jbar

jbar Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    if you can work in a 911 system, responding to calls, it is way better experience. It sounds like the EMTs you talked to were doing transport. As an active EMT you learn to do patient assesments, and actualy start formulating differental diagnosis. You learn to deal with very stressful and uncontrolled situations. I think those skills are more useful in the long run then being a PCT.

4. Glorified

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    take the transfer job. I think it will open doors for you if you want to do 911. Like previous poster said, it will be worth it, even if you only make $8 bucks an hour, I am sure you don't want to wipe butts and change diapers all day. ;)