Encouragment For Those Still Studying!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwtucker83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT on saturday and scored better than expected. I just wanted to share my experience in order to encourage others still studying.

I took the Kaplan course.

I scored a 16 on my diagnostic, a 17 on my midterm, and a 20 on my final.

When I started studying for the DAT I felt doomed. I was going to be content getting an 18, I just didn't think it was possible for me to get better. I had only taken two biology classes, basic biology and molecular bio. There was so much stuff to learn and it just seemed impossible.

The point here is that it can be done. I studied hard during my winter and spring terms, and little by little I learned the information. I mastered the Kaplan subject tests. I took each one probably 3 times a piece. My other practice tests ranged from 19-21.

My scores for the real DAT was a 22/22/25. Believe me when I say that I was completely surprised to see these scores when I finished.

All in all I think the kaplan course prepares you very well IF you master their online materials and gain a true understanding of the material and not just memorize the information.

I know reading this forum made me feel inadequate the entire time I was studying, so I just wanted to give encouragment to everyone who did terrible on there first couple practice tests. Put in the time and you will do just fine on the real thing. Just keep on keepin on.

Members don't see this ad.

Very nice scores. If you do not mind can you break down how the various sections were and if you came across any surprises. Also were there many calculations in the general chemistry? If not, how specific were the conceptual questions? How did you prepare for the biology section? ex. what materials and how did you use them.

I only used kaplan for my studying, gen chem was way easier than kaplan, bio was random, and ochem was about the same as kaplan. The PAT was harder than kaplan - actually I have no idea how I did so well. Reading was about the same as kaplan and math was way easier than kaplan.

I hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a general consensus?
I take my DAT tommorow, and I was getting 20s on my Kaplan stuff, but my gen chem and organic always hurt me. Any last minute advice would be great.

Thanks for the encouragement! I am only studying Kaplan too and was worried it wouldnt be enough. Did you think the Bio was enough because I hear so many people who say it isn't. But great job! :D

thanks bwtucker, finding your post really made my day. There's some days I get on this forum and think to myself, "crap everyone is getting awesome scores, I hope all the time and effort I'm putting into this really pays off." Ive been working my tail off all summer so hopefully I'll do well. Thanks for the inspiration

Is this a general consensus?
I take my DAT tommorow, and I was getting 20s on my Kaplan stuff, but my gen chem and organic always hurt me. Any last minute advice would be great.

General Consensus lol no way. I looked at the Kaplans material for like an hour and it was like reading curious george. The stuff was so easy and it seemed so superficial. The PAT I got every single question right on their practice test and that was before i really started studying. Their stuff seemed so easy (other than Gchem which wasnt so bad) that my 14 year old brother coulda gotten a 25 on their PAT and well Nevermind. As far as I am concerned the poster here is a fluke and dont expect to do just Kaplans and do as well as he/she did. Chances are whatever you get on the Kaplans tests youll get 2 points lower on the DAT with the exception of PAT which you will prob get like 4-5 points lower on DAT.

However that being said if you know the stuff then you will do well regardless of what practice tests and materials you use.

Last edited:
General Consensus lol no way. I looked at the Kaplans material for like an hour and it was like reading curious george. The stuff was so easy and it seemed so superficial. The PAT i ot every single question right on their practice test and that was before i really started studying. Their stuff seemed so easy (other than Gchem which wasnt so bad) that my 14 year old brother coulda gotten a 25 on their PAT and well Nevermind. As far as I am concerned the poster here is a fluke and dont expect to do just Kaplans and do as well as he/she did. Chances are whatever you get on the Kaplans tests youll get 2 points lower on the DAT with the exception of PAT which you will prob get like 4-5 points lower on DAT.

However that being said if you know the stuff then you will do well regardless of what practice tests and materials you use.

I agree! It's just hard to believe that you can get such scores with only Kaplan! After going over Kaplan Bio and starting on other study materials for bio, some of them were like foreign language! So there's absolutely no way to do well on bio if you only study kaplan! Next time make it a bit more of a realistic poster!!!