End of Basic Science Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Revan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

My Medical School just notified us that we are taking an end of basic science exam in the next few weeks based on the USMLE (four hours long, 200 questions). I was wondering if any of you have taken this type of exam? I was thinking of skimming First Aid, but would like some advice on how to prepare. As we don't have any time off specifically to study for this exam, and we have to "pass" (I think with a score of 62), suggestions on high yield material to cover would be appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
we had to take a NBME comprehensive to be able to sit for the step at my school.

it all depends on how you did in your basic sciences, if you did well, reviewing the FA and doing questions will be fine. If you didnt do well, then more studying is needed. I took the comprehensive in Sept, and it was pretty hard, and I had studied for about 2 months for it.

try having to pass it in 2 weeks of studying or being required to spend an additional 4 months prepping for the boards IN SCHOOL.

I had to take that exam at my school. It's not that bad, and not worth studying for. It's weird that they tell you "you have to pass." What happens if you don't? At my school it was more of a gage of how well you're doing, and how hard you need to work to do well on step 1. If you must cram, I suggest getting FA questions and reading through those. It'll give you an idea of what the questions will be like and hopefully jog your memory.

The nice thing is the test report will give you a break-down of what subjects you need to work on, and where are you with the rest of your class.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
we had to take it too at my school...IMO I recommend not studying for it and having a true baseline. Thats the way I did it, and I was very happy with my baseline of basic science knowledge and it boosted my confidence when it came time to study for the real deal. when taking it, try to take it seriously...do the things you would do if it was a real exam, like using similar test taking strategies...some people completely blew it off, and filled in C's for the entire thing, would not recommend that...

we had the advice of not studying for the EBM, and something like 1/10 of the class failed. So I would study. I would read FA like you want to memorize every word of it. It doesn't matter that you don't get through it, and it doesn't matter that you don't remember all of it. You just need enough to pass.

The other thing is that these EBM focus heavily on biochem, biostats, basic pharm, genetics, and all the other stuff that you had early on in your med school education. I would focus on those things as opposed to focusing all the pathophys. Plus, you would have had testing on pathophys and pharm very recently, whereas the basic science stuff is more removed.

don't blow the test off. It's hard. It's not difficult to fail. I don't want to freak you out. You will probably do okay if you just study FA, but just don't not study.