End Of Neuropathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyNameIsOtto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I heard there was a recent article in the NY Times science section last week - article about a neuropathologist who metioned neuropathology no longer existing in the near future?

Any elaboration/explanations?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

we're gonna need more information than that to make intelligent comments. the idea of neuropath no longer existing is silly. nervous system and neuromuscular pathology aren't going to be cured any time soon, and while i'm sure most pathologists have some comfort with NP material, there's certainly still a role for the expertise and focus a fellowship-trained neuropathologist can bring to a case.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/11/h...gin&adxnnlx=1190431081-b3APl8DO2GaH1hG3EO4Utg

It's a little melodramatic if you ask me. Neuropath is a very academic subspecialty - it's usually low volume, so it pairs very well with research. It's grants that pay the bills for neuropathologists, not diagnostic work (although our neuro service is quite busy with frozens and biopsies in addition to the autopsy stuff). Last time I checked, we didn't exactly have neurodegenerative diseases figured out, so I don't think the field is going away anytime soon, even if some people seem to think neuropaths exist only to teach neurologists.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I wouldn't want anyone looking at my neuro frozen/ crush prep intraoperatively except an NP, which makes the idea of having a craniotomy at a community hospital quite scary.

Doesn't matter...it will just get signed out as "Gliosis, defer to permanents.";)

:laugh: So true. Here we have some pretty outstanding NPs, so usually the intraop call is right on with the permanents. I think we are lucky we are exposed to a lot of neuropath on our frozen days.

I agree, degenerative CNS disease has for the most part gone quite beyond the reach of the average general surgical pathologist.

One also wonders about the likelihood of the journalist quoting/reporting their sources 100% accurately...

NP is really dying, especially with advances in radiology I just dont think it is anywhere as needed as it once was. That said, it is also INSANELY hard when it is a tough case.

IF I did do neuropath I would really want to look at every case with the surgeon so I could look him in the eye and say I really had no clue.

all i know is the new CNS fascicles just got juicier

and not only that ----under the umbrella of NP can include

muscle biopsies -- um how many stains do they do on one of those bx's? WTF:eek:

and ocular path---

yikes please dont die NP!!!