Neuropathology Private Practice/Academia Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalDoge

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

With the current state of the job market, would combining AP/NP with an additional "high demand" fellowship (say derm or gyn) give you good options in academia (signing out neuro and the other surg path subspecialty) and private practice? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

NP is of very little use in 95%+ of private practice situations. Academics and big forensics. Richard Lindenberg and Chuck Hirsch are two big examples.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

With the current state of the job market, would combining AP/NP with an additional "high demand" fellowship (say derm or gyn) give you good options in academia (signing out neuro and the other surg path subspecialty) and private practice? Thanks in advance.
Why would you do neuropath and dermpath? If you can get a dermpath spot then just focus on dermpath.

Neuropath is not in demand in private practice unless you are at a bigger community hospital. Not many advertised jobs for neuropath in private. More academic jobs for Neuropath.

Dermpath will get you a job either in academics or private. I didn’t know gyn was in high demand.

If you do neuropath and dermpath, you can be an asset to a group in private who’s looking for someone who can cover both areas of their group.

Unless you want to do academics (even some academic jobs require CP) , everyone should try to get CP certified. Most hospital based jobs require CP certification although I know some people working in private hospital based jobs and corporate labs with AP only. You will only limit yourself in the job market with AP only and if you are geographically restricted, you don’t want to be at a disadvantage in areas with a tight job market.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Completely agree with Metropath here - you HAVE to do CP if you want to do private practice. I was discouraged in residency to do CP by my PD (little did I know it was because of coverage issues) and was at a significant disadvantage finding a PP job afterwards.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Derm training suffices. The cake already looks good (at least for now) you don't need any icing

Reactions: 1 user
If you're interested in PP, I would recommend a solid surgpath fellowship in addition to NP. Most PP groups interested in hiring a NP would want you to sign out general surg path as well, but the need for CP is probably +/-. The job market for NP in private practice is low generally, but if a private group does need a NP, then finding a NP who is also solid in general surg path is probably like hunting for a unicorn. They will likely have no problem with your lack of CP, as long as you can sign out NP and are competent/efficient in general surgpath as well. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the wise responses. My conundrum is that my primary love is neuro (still enjoy the other surg path subspecialties), but I also want some geographic flexibility. Scanning through job postings seems to concur with Crossed Path response. I see that a few larger private groups wanting neuro + general (AP or AP/CP), not necessarily neuro + another subspecialty. There seem to be plenty of academic neuro opportunities as well.
Completely agree with Metropath here - you HAVE to do CP if you want to do private practice. I was discouraged in residency to do CP by my PD (little did I know it was because of coverage issues) and was at a significant disadvantage finding a PP job afterwards.
Did you do neuro?

All NPs I know are academic, except one who is NP/AP and joined a PP group and likely wouldn't have been hired unless doing general AP as well. Even the academic NPs I know still do general AP including frozens to justify their existence.

If you want "geographic flexibility" (who doesn't), neuro is at the bottom of my list. Neuropathologists need neurosurgeons...neurosurgeons that operate on brain tumors with a frequency that justifies needing neuropathology in house are the kind that work at large tertiary care centers and children's hospitals, or at least very closely affiliated with them. That's going to determine your geographic parameters.

If you want to do NP casually and mostly do general AP...don't do NP. IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
All NPs I know are academic, except one who is NP/AP and joined a PP group and likely wouldn't have been hired unless doing general AP as well. Even the academic NPs I know still do general AP including frozens to justify their existence.

If you want "geographic flexibility" (who doesn't), neuro is at the bottom of my list. Neuropathologists need neurosurgeons...neurosurgeons that operate on brain tumors with a frequency that justifies needing neuropathology in house are the kind that work at large tertiary care centers and children's hospitals, or at least very closely affiliated with them. That's going to determine your geographic parameters.

If you want to do NP casually and mostly do general AP...don't do NP. IMO.
Agree.

The following were conclusions taken from a USCAP poster in regards to the job market. Better to get CP certified.

Conclusions:
•During the past 5 years within the United States, inclusive of before, during and after the COVID pandemic, our analysis supports a strong pathology job market.
•We found a markedly increased demand for pathologists compared to the prior 5 year period and in particular during 2021 and 2022.
•There has been an increase in the requirement of combined AP/CP, particularly in academia.
•Practices that are hiring should be aware of the increase in demand and that job openings are now more frequently posted earlier in the academic year.

Thank you all again, this is very helpful.

So if I am already on an AP/NP track, what would be the singular best fellowship to do to increase my chances for geographic flexibility in general? Again, my primary passion is neuro, but love other subfields and wouldn't mind that side of the work. I realize no CP is a significant limiting factor.

Well, AP/NP/FP makes for a killer credential for a MAJOR medical examiner office with academic affiliation (think Maryland, Miami, Phoenix), IF that floats your boat.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you all again, this is very helpful.

So if I am already on an AP/NP track, what would be the singular best fellowship to do to increase my chances for geographic flexibility in general? Again, my primary passion is neuro, but love other subfields and wouldn't mind that side of the work. I realize no CP is a significant limiting factor.
Cytopath, IMO. Hope you like Paps.

Maybe molecular, as lots of neuropath has corresponding molecular alterations or relevance...but NP kind of stands alone as far as pathology sub specialties.

If you're already on the AP/NP track, I don't honestly know of another fellowship worth doing...you've already somewhat pigeon holed yourself. If adding CP isn't an option, and molecular wouldn't be feasible at your location, I'd try just testing the job market with AP/NP and see if you get any bites...would start well in advance of your ETA to get a feel.