Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I have a question about what endergonic & exergonic versus endothermic & exothermic mean. I get that the first two deal with free energy changes and that the last two deal with enthalpy changes, but how do they look on a reaction coordinate? When I see products with less energy than the reactants, I think -∆H (exothermic) and -∆G (exergonic) and vice versa for endothermic and endergonic. I know that only when the T∆S factor is negligible can you say ∆G and ∆H are equal. Is there any way to tell from the reaction coordinate though if you're given no information about entropy?
Thanks.
I have a question about what endergonic & exergonic versus endothermic & exothermic mean. I get that the first two deal with free energy changes and that the last two deal with enthalpy changes, but how do they look on a reaction coordinate? When I see products with less energy than the reactants, I think -∆H (exothermic) and -∆G (exergonic) and vice versa for endothermic and endergonic. I know that only when the T∆S factor is negligible can you say ∆G and ∆H are equal. Is there any way to tell from the reaction coordinate though if you're given no information about entropy?
Thanks.