Ending Sophmore Year, is there hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bakerchic55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a student at ASU, ending my Sophmore year heading into my Junior year obviously. I currently have a 3.07 GPA, I know it sucks, I used to have a higher GPA but due to personal problems (working full time, family issues, ect) my GPA has taken a hit. I know that I can raise my GPA to at least a 3.5 if I do faily well next year, what are my chances into getting into med school if I'm able to pull it off? Any suggestions? Advice? I'm drowning here!

Members don't see this ad.

It would probably take you two years of straight As to get your cGPA in the ~3.5 arena. But with a strong MCAT score of say 32+, you would still be competitive for less-selective allopathic med schools. With a 26+ you''d have a shot at osteopathic med schools.

This data can help you extrapolate your chances of acceptance to an AMCAS school with various cGPA and MCAT combinations: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf

Thank you for the feedback! I have another question!
When it comes to taking my mcat/applying should I apply by junior year and take my mcats that year, and just supply the school with updated transcripts, or apply my senior year and "sit out a year"? My other question is can you give me an example of the lower tier schools you referrenced just so I know the range that you were thinking. Sorry to ask so many questions I just am trying to get my bearings about this so I know what I need to do.

You want your GPA to be the most optimal you can make it, and that will mean waiting until after your fourth or even fifth college year.

Some less selective schools, from more to less selective:
Arizona, Nevada, UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (new),
GWU, FIU, Louisville, Tulane, NYMC, MUSC, SCarolina, EVMS,
Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new),
Commonweath MC (PA).