Endless TV shows about heroic, idealized portrayals of physicians. Why none about psychologists? Grinds my gears a bit.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it would be interesting if the show focused mainly on the patients as they work with what the psychologist taught them. Lots of drama. Guy getting treatment for depression stops overeating, say, and his partner feels rejected because they show love with food. Then, anything. Cheating, lying, fights, drama. (Ultimately though the patient gets much better and happier through the power of therapy. And, fin.)

This is Hollywood. Guy stops overeating, gets in shape, leaves partner for a younger hotter version, then the partner shoots/attacks the psychologist.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Any of you remember that show intervention from like 10-20 year ago?!

Those interventionists had to make a fortune. Jeff Von Vonderdeen (or something like that) and the surly lookin older lady. Also, this show was great from a social psych perspective for me. What's it called, social downward comparison? "at least I'm not THAT bad"

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the number one "curiosity stance" model was Columbo.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought the number one "curiosity stance" model was Columbo.
Peter Falk Detective GIF by PeacockTV

This is Hollywood. Guy stops overeating, gets in shape, leaves partner for a younger hotter version, then the partner shoots/attacks the psychologist.
Hahaha true. And when the guy loses the weight he doesn’t just turn into a thinner guy, but is extremely and unrealistically attractive. The psychologist survives being shot, but the season cliffhanger is either something revealed on the sick bed or it’s unknown if they survive. Or a secret child shows up.

This might’ve been said already and I just missed it, but it really bothers me to see Hollywood use psychiatrists as therapists. Who then turn around half the time and also prescribe a medication to the same client, in the same session. Perfect time to use a psychologist, or LCSW/LPC. I imagine the “prestige” of being a medical doctor is the reason why, but it’s irritating and the general public is uninformed for the most part so they wouldn’t bat an eye. Doesn’t help when the psychiatrist (whether they’re doing psychotherapy or just prescribing) is also sleazy.

This might’ve been said already and I just missed it, but it really bothers me to see Hollywood use psychiatrists as therapists. Who then turn around half the time and also prescribe a medication to the same client, in the same session. Perfect time to use a psychologist, or LCSW/LPC. I imagine the “prestige” of being a medical doctor is the reason why, but it’s irritating and the general public is uninformed for the most part so they wouldn’t bat an eye. Doesn’t help when the psychiatrist (whether they’re doing psychotherapy or just prescribing) is also sleazy.

I actually think that Frasier and Niles Crain would be more accurately protrayed as psychodynamic psychologists than psychiatrists as the show never really addressed medication, but you saw some nods to psychotherapy being conducted in some episodes. That said, they reminded of a psychiatrist I met in training that was a member of one of the east coast psychoanalytic societies...right down to the Victorian day bed.

Reactions: 3 users
I actually think that Frasier and Niles Crain would be more accurately protrayed as psychodynamic psychologists than psychiatrists as the show never really addressed medication, but you saw some nods to psychotherapy being conducted in some episodes. That said, they reminded or a psychoanalytic psychiatrist I met in training that was a member of one of the east coast psychoanalytic societies...right down to the Victorian day bed.
Oh for sure. I see some portrayals that are psychiatrist in name only—it would be very easy to just say hey, this person is a psychologist or social worker.

That makes me think about how so many therapy portrayals are psychodynamic or psychoanalytic (even if inaccurate).

Oh man, the most EGREGIOUS example of this was that show Scorpion (which was an awful show anyway)... the team had a character who described himself as a behaviorist. His role in the team was "the behaviorist." I assumed he was a psychologist. A few eps in, it's revealed, he's a PSYCHIATRIST. I was SO annoyed!

Oh man, the most EGREGIOUS example of this was that show Scorpion (which was an awful show anyway)... the team had a character who described himself as a behaviorist. His role in the team was "the behaviorist." I assumed he was a psychologist. A few eps in, it's revealed, he's a PSYCHIATRIST. I was SO annoyed!
Can't remember the last time I met a psychiatrist that could be appropriately be described as a behaviorist.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think that Frasier and Niles Crain would be more accurately protrayed as psychodynamic psychologists than psychiatrists as the show never really addressed medication, but you saw some nods to psychotherapy being conducted in some episodes. That said, they reminded of a psychiatrist I met in training that was a member of one of the east coast psychoanalytic societies...right down to the Victorian day bed.
I enjoy the show, but the portrayals of him as a radio psychiatrist are just the worst. The useless advice they show him give doesn’t portray the profession well.

Do you all ever receive recommendations to watch these kinds of shows by well-meaning people? I had a friend tell me I'd love the show Lucifer because of the psychiatrist. I am always unsure what to say when they follow up about it.

I think part of this may be due to misunderstandings as to what a psychiatrist and a psychologist actually are rather than anything to do with prestige. Part of it may also be due to the sorts of people that write these shows actually seeing cash-only concierge psychiatrists that typically do therapy and med management for clients. They think that's what all psychiatrists are because they live in the Hollywood bubble.

Reactions: 4 users
I watched some of In Treatment, I'd say it was not a great representation of the real world but a much better one than previous examples. At least it showed that therapy takes time and doesn't always work right away. Did not make it till the end as the show had to get more and more unrealistic (why did he only want to do therapy in his home?).

The show actually came back recently:

In October 2020, HBO confirmed the series would return for a fourth season with Uzo Aduba in the lead role.[5] The 24-episode season premiered on May 23, 2021, and aired four episodes weekly

FWIW, I think there are plenty of examples of realistic and even very helpful (though, not heroic) mental health providers. However, they tend to be small parts (e.g., I remember a very worthwhile substance counselor in Breaking Bad) or highly unrealistic results in short period of time. But it is very hard to make a show about this kind of work that the masses would enjoy.

Also, there was a very short-lived sitcom, Shrink, about a med student who flunks out and starts seeing clients for free in his parents' garage to accumulate supervision hours to become a therapist. Wiki tells me it is on Peacock and I highly recommend it.

Can't remember the last time I met a psychiatrist that could be appropriately be described as a behaviorist.
Don't we all use behaviorist principles from time to time? I often help my patients learn to use positive reinforcement to get their family members to do stuff they want. That's pretty behaviorist right?

I think part of this may be due to misunderstandings as to what a psychiatrist and a psychologist actually are rather than anything to do with prestige. Part of it may also be due to the sorts of people that write these shows actually seeing cash-only concierge psychiatrists that typically do therapy and med management for clients. They think that's what all psychiatrists are because they live in the Hollywood bubble.
I really think the majority of the psychiatrists I know do both (some form of) psychotherapy and med management. The *quality* of the therapy may be arguable depending on how/where they were trained.

The ones who don't do any therapy at all are these neurostim guys who just want to push the button and not interact with the patient. But that's really a tiny minority.

As far as cash-only, well, 50% of psychiatrists across the US don't take insurance so that's hardly a niche or 'bubble' approach.

Psychiatrists grinding out 15 min med checks for faceless big box shops may be a stereotype, but I think there are actually far fewer of them, because it doesn't stack up well against independent private practice from either a remuneration or a quality of life perspective.

I really think the majority of the psychiatrists I know do both (some form of) psychotherapy and med management. The *quality* of the therapy may be arguable depending on how/where they were trained.

The ones who don't do any therapy at all are these neurostim guys who just want to push the button and not interact with the patient. But that's really a tiny minority.

As far as cash-only, well, 50% of psychiatrists across the US don't take insurance so that's hardly a niche or 'bubble' approach.

Psychiatrists grinding out 15 min med checks for faceless big box shops may be a stereotype, but I think there are actually far fewer of them, because it doesn't stack up well against independent private practice from either a remuneration or a quality of life perspective.
I agree. Personally I do therapy of some sort with most of my patients. But often in TV shows and movies it seems like people are often seeing non-prescribing psychoanalyst psychiatrists

Don't we all use behaviorist principles from time to time? I often help my patients learn to use positive reinforcement to get their family members to do stuff they want. That's pretty behaviorist right?

I think we all are as well. But in terms of the psychiatrists I know who do therapy above and beyond the "therapy" that is included in their 15 minute med checks, they are all almost exclusively psychodynamic or analytic. Small n, though, as I only know a handful currently who do real therapy.

Oh, for sure, but there's a difference between using behavioral principles and identifying yourself as a "behaviorist."

Wanted to revive this because:

A friend from another program recently exposed me to a show that apparently has a decent depiction of psychologists/therapists.

Any of you watched 'In Treatment' or are familiar with it? (Particularly Season 4) What's your thoughts on it?

They also told me about Couples Therapy, but that seems more like reality TV.

What about The Patient? Not necessarily realistic, but Steve Carell as a psychologist was perfect.

I loved In Treatment, mainly because of Gabriel Byrne's voice, and my partner and I got super into disagreeing with the therapist on Couples Therapy (who charges like 700/session in real life apparently).

/entertainment purposes only

What about The Patient? Not necessarily realistic, but Steve Carell as a psychologist was perfect.

I loved In Treatment, mainly because of Gabriel Byrne's voice, and my partner and I got super into disagreeing with the therapist on Couples Therapy (who charges like 700/session in real life apparently).

/entertainment purposes only
I've heard the patient is very good, might finally check it out myself..

Did anyone see the most recent curb your enthusiasm? It's a great example of how multiple relationships can go wrong.

It might be the specific type of horror movies I watch, but I suspect that a substantial portion of the public thinks every university has a Parapsychology dept investigating ESP.

Fraser and Niles were DEFINITELY psychodynamic, which was weird. There was one where Niles hosted the radio show for Fraser and said “while Fraser is a Freudian, I am a Jungian, so there will be no blaming mother today!”

That episode of CYE was wild.

I also get kind of ticked that so many media portrayals of professors have them dating or hitting on students. But I guess that’s more one that I wish was inaccurate.

It might be the specific type of horror movies I watch, but I suspect that a substantial portion of the public thinks every university has a Parapsychology dept investigating ESP.

Did yours not?

I also get kind of ticked that so many media portrayals of professors have them dating or hitting on students. But I guess that’s more one that I wish was inaccurate.

Also therapists. It's not Hollywood if a therapist resists the urge to do some kind of glorified boundary crossing (i.e., Ted Lasso; Shrinking; 50/50).

Fraser and Niles were DEFINITELY psychodynamic, which was weird. There was one where Niles hosted the radio show for Fraser and said “while Fraser is a Freudian, I am a Jungian, so there will be no blaming mother today!”

That episode of CYE was wild.
I still feel like the psychiatrists win out with horror movies big time. They have Damien Karras from the Exorcist ... I mean ... psychologists just can't win against that.

Wanted to revive this because:

A friend from another program recently exposed me to a show that apparently has a decent depiction of psychologists/therapists.

Any of you watched 'In Treatment' or are familiar with it? (Particularly Season 4) What's your thoughts on it?

They also told me about Couples Therapy, but that seems more like reality TV.

I feel like I only watched seasons 1 and 2 of 'In treatment'. If you want the couples therapy version, there was a short lived show called 'Tell me you love me' that I recall being pretty good.

'Shrinking' is hilarious if completely inappropriate.

Welcome to New York. It's been waiting for you.

NYC has plenty of 500+/session therapists. There was a recent Times article about a master's-level therapist here who specializes in treating high wealth clients and charges 600/session.
I believe there's some pretty decent behavioral economics research indicating that up to a point, if you charge more for something, people will assume it's better/worth more.

Welcome to New York. It's been waiting for you.

NYC has plenty of 500+/session therapists. There was a recent Times article about a master's-level therapist here who specializes in treating high wealth clients and charges 600/session.
How does one break into seeing high wealth clients ... Asking for a friend.

Also, checked out The Patient last night. It's okay so far, Steve Carell's shockingly good acting is the highlight of the show in my opinion.

I'm waiting to see the Netflix series on the psychologists who tortured prisoners with the full support of the APA and CIA.

Uhhh... are you guys forgetting the useless psychologists on "My 600lbs Life" and "Hoarders"?

( I watch the former on the treadmill, and the latter when cleaning the house)

Uhhh... are you guys forgetting the useless psychologists on "My 600lbs Life" and "Hoarders"?

( I watch the former on the treadmill, and the latter when cleaning the house)
I vaguely recall a classmate or former supervisor saying something about the psychologist(s) in Hoarders being pretty good, but this was way back in grad school and maybe they were talking about a different show. Bummer.