Endless TV shows about heroic, idealized portrayals of physicians. Why none about psychologists? Grinds my gears a bit.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeyRo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain this to me? We deal with all sorts of crazy headaches, have insane training to deal with, nutsiness amongst colleagues, but plenty (IMHO) to romanticize and lionize about our field as well.

There's all sorts of ridiculous TV shows about physicians. American TV seems to have as much of an obsession about doctor-related TV shows as they do about zombie-related TV shows.

Why not psychologists?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if an inaccurate portrayal of psychologists for the purposes of humor and/or drama would be helpful for the field.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't know if an inaccurate portrayal of psychologists for the purposes of humor and/or drama would be helpful for the field.
I can't think of a single flattering (or neutral) portrayal of psychologists in TV/film that would also be remotely accurate. I mean, Newhart was okay, but portrayed the psychologist as somewhat comically inept (but, hey, it WAS a comedy). I thought the Robin Williams character in Good Will Hunting was probably the best, most 'flattering' depiction I can remember seeing. At least he didn't sleep with his clients. Still, he was portrayed as a somewhat mushy (and somewhat impaired) psychologist. I thought the 'It's not your fault!' scene was probably moving to non-psychologists but it was pretty cringe to a real psychologist. I mean...it IS fiction, after all.

I don't think that characterizing (or portraying) the competent actions of a good psychologist as 'heroic' really fits the role. I mean, it's a little bit easier to write a script for an ER doc or a surgeon (or a cop or firefighter) to portray 'heroic' actions (I guess). Out of curiosity, even in theory, what would an example of a 'heroic' action by a psychologist even be? Tackling an OCD client in order to prevent his premature exit from an exposure and response prevention session? Most good therapy, while admittedly intellectually stimulating and ultimately satisfying...just isn't very 'dramatic' or 'heroic' by its very nature.

Besides...I'm not an action hero. I'm more of a behavioral consultant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lie to me was Ekmans dramatization, and on for 3+ seasons.

But most of those shows use the entire Byronic Hero archetype, which doesn’t work well with mental health. It’s a fantasy that skews male, and a narcissistic one at that. Oh you’re so wounded and sensitive until you gotta develop the steel to fix something. You’re definitely going to make that album if she supports you a bit more. Makes for great story telling in many domains, but it doesn’t work with mental health. Plus there’s no room to meld the entire nurture that pays off to sexual attraction.

Last edited:
When I become the Psychologist Actor Lawyer Millionaire my parents expect me to be, I'll pull some strings.

But real talk, there's a bit of a romanticism that goes on in medicine soaps I feel. People rushed to the ER, dramatic paramedic rides, etc etc. There's more to work with in those settings that can get the audience invested. Not to mention, things appear more tangible in those shows.

Guy comes in with 4 gunshot wounds in critical condition. You can show the docs urgently operating and doing all that medical mumbo jumbo. At the end of the day you can portray that he's ok because he's not dead and he's wrapped up in bandages and his heart monitor is still beeping. As opposed to...

Guy comes in with severe depression. Cue montage of Psychologist talking to the client. Heavy zoom in on psych dramatically writing in notes. End montage on the client leaving. Is the guy's depression doing better? Find out in 3 months minimum, this was only the intake.

I'm over-emphasizing a bit, but that's about how it will go.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Can anyone explain this to me? We deal with all sorts of crazy headaches, have insane training to deal with, nutsiness amongst colleagues, but plenty (IMHO) to romanticize and lionize about our field as well.

There's all sorts of ridiculous TV shows about physicians. American TV seems to have as much of an obsession about doctor-related TV shows as they do about zombie-related TV shows.

Why not psychologists?

Because:

1. This would require TV writers and producers to believe in independent thought rather than copying other successful shows or creating a spinoff. This is why we will see Law and Order: Parking Enforcement and CSI: Kansas City before original thought.

2. Not enough public knowledge and awareness. The only psychologist TV show portrayals I see are "criminal profilers" and the show "Bull" that was based on Dr. Phil's career. The public knows Dr. Phil and it was really a lawyer show.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Because:

1. This would require TV writers and producers to believe in independent thought rather than copying other successful shows or creating a spinoff. This is why we will see Law and Order: Parking Enforcement and CSI: Kansas City before original thought.

2. Not enough public knowledge and awareness. The only psychologist TV show portrayals I see are "criminal profilers" and the show "Bull" that was based on Dr. Phil's career. The public knows Dr. Phil and it was really a lawyer show.
Nothing can beat the 'Color of Night' movie from the mid-1990s starring Scott Bakula and Bruce Willis, LOL.

There was a show on HBO several years ago called In Treatment depicting a psychologist. I haven't seen it, but I've heard that it was one of the more realistic portrayals.

There was a show on HBO several years ago called In Treatment depicting a psychologist. I haven't seen it, but I've heard that it was one of the more realistic portrayals.
I saw a couple of seasons of it. I liked it, but I don't know it is a particularly flattering portrayal. There was also the show "Tell me you love me" about couples therapy.

Reactions: 1 users
Because:

I was going to add, didnt Bones have like a psychologist criminal profiler?

I liked that psychologist/therapist on that one episode of rick and morty where he turns himself into a pickle. i was very surprised it was a serious portrayal, as most psychologists/therapists are portrayed as psychos or perverts on TV.

Reactions: 1 user
When I was working an adolescent inpatient unit in LA and we had codes for violence and self harm multiple times each day, I was thinking that could be a show. Maybe the harsh reality of an intense inpatient setting like that is just too much. Also, I think mental health scares people more than physical health. Especially when we expose that the patients aren’t that much different from the viewers.

When I was working an adolescent inpatient unit in LA and we had codes for violence and self harm multiple times each day, I was thinking that could be a show. Maybe the harsh reality of an intense inpatient setting like that is just too much. Also, I think mental health scares people more than physical health. Especially when we expose that the patients aren’t that much different from the viewers.
Like "oz"?

Good will hunting is a great movie.

I don't think society these days has the interest in things that happen in our field. Everyone wants quick fixes, edgey decision making, risky behavior. Doesn't align much with our world. I would be happy to let a director pay me to film me collecting data and writing a manuscript for hours on end or leading a group mindfullness meditation though. Action packed for some.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
omg you remember that show on hbo with dude from usual suspects? It was legit ALL just sessions. Real dynamic oriented (and a bit full of itself) but was interesting. Good Will Hunting definitely the biggest most popular one for sure.

There's a show on Showtime called Couples Therapy with a psychologist in NYC working with various couples in session.

There is a forensic psychologist in criminal minds and I believe a number of other shows, I don't think their portrayals have anything to do with reality. JD trial was probably the best exposure LOL

I was going to add, didnt Bones have like a psychologist criminal profiler?
They gave the character a Psy.D. in clinical psychology from Columbia University and a Ph.D. in behavioral analysis from the University of Pennsylvania, all presumably by age 22.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I can’t remember exactly which but a huge plot line was around him banging a patient or very much wanting to, at the expense of his marriage. Sigh

I can’t remember exactly which but a huge plot line was around him banging a patient or very much wanting to, at the expense of his marriage. Sigh

First season, he essentially made the decision to romantically pursue his patient, with the only thing holding him back being his panic attacks. I think he does get divorced. I stopped watching sometime during the first season.

Big Little Lies (season 1) had a decent portrayal of a psychologist working with Nicole Kidman’s character (who was abused by her husband) and helped her develop a sound plan of escape. Although it happened a bit faster than it would in real life, perhaps, it was probably one of the better and more realistic portrayals of successful therapeutic work.

They gave the character a Psy.D. in clinical psychology from Columbia University and a Ph.D. in behavioral analysis from the University of Pennsylvania, all presumably by age 22.

Oh, that drove me BANANAS. And then he was overly invested in Brennan and Booth, who were supposed to be his patients. His character also took away focus from Booth's area of expertise, which was also human behavior, and gave the character less to do. I really hate Sweets; he practically ruined the show for me. I could go on and on!

Anyway, I watch a lot of Korean dramas and they tend to have a ton of characters who work in mental health. There's one called You Are my Spring where the male lead is a psychiatrist. Ironically I tend to avoid these because I try to avoid stories with heavy mental health issues in my leisure time as a general rule. I see enough of it at work!

Dr. Katz was a psychologist - the animation drove me bonkers as a kid.

There's a show on Showtime called Couples Therapy with a psychologist in NYC working with various couples in session.
I've seen both seasons and I found entertaining. Presumably everyone's consented to having their **** aired out for the world, but I still wonder about the ethics of it all.

I had this same thought when on internship at a (similarly violent) adolescent inpatient unit. So much drama! And you could have new celebrity guest stars as the patients each week.

I've seen both seasons and I found entertaining. Presumably everyone's consented to having their **** aired out for the world, but I still wonder about the ethics of it all.

Also, Re: the ethics part, APA has a division that specializes in media and such. They probably have more presentations like this, among other materials related to the ethics.

Dr. Katz was a psychologist - the animation drove me bonkers as a kid.

I'm so jealous of Dr. Katz - wish my patients were standup comedians who just riffed the whole appt.

As an aside in case you wanted a comparison of accuracy re the medical side of things, I have always maintained that Scrubs is the most realistic depiction of medicine on TV, only it's not funny and every one is about a third as hot.

Reactions: 7 users
Counselor Troi on Star Trek: TNG was a psychologist. Thought they did a pretty good job with that portrayal.
I was especially bummed when my application to the Clinical Psych PhD program at the University of Betazed was rejected (yes, that school actually exists in Star Trek canon)

• Haha
  • Care
Blippi is a pretty faithful representation of what I do everyday- a strange man in a bowtie acting goofy with kids.
Blippi is pretty close to a goofy modern Mr. Rogers. I really really like the dude. But, he made some questionable videos back in the day under his gross out comedian personae.

Blippi is pretty close to a goofy modern Mr. Rogers. I really really like the dude. But, he made some questionable videos back in the day under his gross out comedian personae.
I take great offense at this comparison!:rofl: Don't get me wrong - we watch a lot of Blippi in my house because of my kids, but Mr. Rogers taught valuable lessons about how to treat people with care and respect. Blippi just runs around being goofy - although his latest album is quite catchy!

Also, Re: the ethics part, APA has a division that specializes in media and such. They probably have more presentations like this, among other materials related to the ethics.
I often wonder how boards have approached this with social media. More specifically, famous actual licensed psychologists that have huge followings (that dr nicole one who puts out so much garbage on her page comes to mind). JP as well before he got banned.

As an aside in case you wanted a comparison of accuracy re the medical side of things, I have always maintained that Scrubs is the most realistic depiction of medicine on TV, only it's not funny and every one is about a third as hot.

I've heard that about Scrubs as well! It's also just a great show (although it got worse in the later seasons).

I've heard that about Scrubs as well! It's also just a great show (although it got worse in the later seasons).

Yeah, it got so bad that I had this nightmare where I was forced to watch a season where for some reason half the characters left and it was Zach Braff teaching essentially every specialty to a bunch of medical students who also clearly had not taken any of their basic science coursework yet. Man, can you imagine how awful that would have been? So glad it never happened.

...what's that? No, no, I'm quite sure it Never. Happened.

• Haha
I take great offense at this comparison!:rofl: Don't get me wrong - we watch a lot of Blippi in my house because of my kids, but Mr. Rogers taught valuable lessons about how to treat people with care and respect. Blippi just runs around being goofy - although his latest album is quite catchy!
No to be argumentative - but I feel like Mr. Rogers number one attribute was to model curiosity from a gentle and nonjudgmental space. You'd be hard pressed to find a more authentic model of curiosity than Blippi.

Why not psychologists?

To be fair… Shonda Rhimes tried it out in “Private Practice” with a main character. Let’s just say it was highly dramatic, heroic in its own way considering all the drama outside of that specific character’s life & within it… it was interesting writing until you realize the one person who’s like a psychologist/psychiatrist also has their own issues & it gets kinda old (as a viewer). Mad stereotyping too, I suppose. Not every psych is maladjusted or willing to make crazy choices that inevitably affect their quality of life.

Also for what it’s worth - if you want this stuff to happen, you gotta be willing to be a consultant for shows & be where they’re produced/filming.

Blippi is a pretty faithful representation of what I do everyday- a strange man in a bowtie acting goofy with kids.

You realize this also encompasses Pee-wee Herman, right ?!?

Pee Wee Herman Bicycle GIF

Yeah I am just not sure how many viewers are going to get hooked on a 45 min. episode, airing every week of a psychologist doing CBT with someone suffering from depression - imagine sitting there watching them set the agenda, bridge from previous session, review homework, etc. But, I would like to see psychologists be more in the front of TV shows, especially where they are the major focus. Maybe a highly dramatized series involving a group practice of psychologists who contract with major hospitals to triage their ER visits, dealing almost exclusively with suicidality and homicidally. Granted, it would skew the perception of what we really do on a daily basis, but, we could still make sure those episodes do a good job on a thorough violence risk assessment. Have to balance fact with fiction to sell it. :)

Yeah I am just not sure how many viewers are going to get hooked on a 45 min. episode, airing every week of a psychologist doing CBT with someone suffering from depression - imagine sitting there watching them set the agenda, bridge from previous session, review homework, etc. But, I would like to see psychologists be more in the front of TV shows, especially where they are the major focus. Maybe a highly dramatized series involving a group practice of psychologists who contract with major hospitals to triage their ER visits, dealing almost exclusively with suicidality and homicidally. Granted, it would skew the perception of what we really do on a daily basis, but, we could still make sure those episodes do a good job on a thorough violence risk assessment. Have to balance fact with fiction to sell it. :)

I dunno, trauma work is pretty dramatic and intense. But also probably not super fun to watch, as a viewer?

I dunno, trauma work is pretty dramatic and intense. But also probably not super fun to watch, as a viewer?

Indeed - well...I don't know if CPT would be a super eye-catching episode. They'd glaze over with how many ABC, CQW, or PPT worksheets we'd be reviewing together. :p

Indeed - well...I don't know if CPT would be a super eye-catching episode. They'd glaze over with how many ABC, CQW, or PPT worksheets we'd be reviewing together. :p

Haha, I think it'd have to be PE. They could do an actual flashback during the imaginal or something. But, again, what would the purpose be? I do think it'd be cool to show a story of people healing from trauma through actual evidence-based therapy (there is that upcoming documentary coming out, at least).

Haha, I think it'd have to be PE. They could do an actual flashback during the imaginal or something. But, again, what would the purpose be? I do think it'd be cool to show a story of people healing from trauma through actual evidence-based therapy (there is that upcoming documentary coming out, at least).
I'm just imagining every episode they repeat the same trauma narrative five times with the occasional "and what were you thinking then?" Ratings bonanza!

• Haha
I'm just imagining every episode they repeat the same trauma narrative five times with the occasional "and what were you thinking then?" Ratings bonanza!

Boring, I want the Gregory House of psychology on TV. Sexual harassment, drug addiction, and all.

Boring, I want the Gregory House of psychology on TV. Sexual harassment, drug addiction, and all.

As my favorite TV therapist, Dr. Penguin, said: I myself have had with substance abuse issues, and the money from this gig (running a SUD group) allows me to continue to have them"

I think it would be interesting if the show focused mainly on the patients as they work with what the psychologist taught them. Lots of drama. Guy getting treatment for depression stops overeating, say, and his partner feels rejected because they show love with food. Then, anything. Cheating, lying, fights, drama. (Ultimately though the patient gets much better and happier through the power of therapy. And, fin.)

No to be argumentative - but I feel like Mr. Rogers number one attribute was to model curiosity from a gentle and nonjudgmental space. You'd be hard pressed to find a more authentic model of curiosity than Blippi.
Blippi deserves no comparison to psychologists. Marketing and a sketchy past. We stopped watching it after we saw the gross out videos.

Any of you remember that show intervention from like 10-20 year ago?!
I definitely do. I feel like reality TV is where psychologists tend to land. I know Dr. Tolin and Dr. Zasio made regular appearances on Hoarders.