ENDO Programs: Hospital-Based vs. School-Based

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElDienteLoco

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of hospital-based and school-based programs? It seems like it would be nice to get a stipend at a hospital-based program, but I want to learn more about the differences. I would like a strong surgical experience also and was wondering if one would be better than the other.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that hospital-based endo programs even give stipends anymore, do they? I was under the impression that lack of funding had caused those to all but fall by the wayside.

In any event, the vast majority of programs are school-based. What type of surgical experience are you looking for with endo? Are you referencing programs that are delving into implants?

From the current ASDA's post-doctoral guides, the programs at places like the VA Longbeach and the Lutheran hospital in Brooklyn pay $40k plus a year in stipends.

As far as surgery goes, I'm talking about apicos, hemisections and root amps. That kind of stuff. I observed an associate who recently graduated from Nebraska and he said he only did about 6-8 surgical cases during his residency. I think I would like to have more experience than that before I am the responsible surgeon.

On a side note, I think it is unnecessary for an endodontist to place implants. I don't see the purpose in it. He's not necessarily more competent for it than a periodontist or an oral surgeon and it doesn't pay any more for his time than molar endo would - plus it would shoot an endodontist's overhead way up. Why?

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
I don't know that hospital-based endo programs even give stipends anymore, do they? I was under the impression that lack of funding had caused those to all but fall by the wayside.

The lack of funding ended the stipends at most school based programs; the hospital based programs got to keep the stipends. I think Albert Einstein Hosp. in Philly and VA Manhattan have hospital-based endo programs, check them out.

Thanks for the post. I have checked out info about those programs and according to the ASDA guide published this year, they are still funded for stipends.

Also from the guide: Harvard's endo program COSTS you $73k per year for three years!!!
I couldn't believe that.

Are there any endo residents on SDN? I see a lot of ORTHO and OMS guys and the occasional periodontist, but you don't see many endodontists?

Thanks again for the input.

ElDienteLoco said:
On a side note, I think it is unnecessary for an endodontist to place implants. I don't see the purpose in it.

I agree, but it's only a matter of time before you'll hear the endodontists saying "I'm happy to do this molar endo, however should this RCT fail, I have another great option for you..."

ElDienteLoco said:
Are there any endo residents on SDN? I see a lot of ORTHO and OMS guys and the occasional periodontist, but you don't see many endodontists?

Thanks again for the input.

Few and far between. I think the reason is due to the nature of endo programs rarely accepting applicants right out of school. By the time endo residents matriculate they are several years removed from school, typically, and nowhere near SDN, unfortunately.