endo vs perio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tumorbored

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you had the choice between a residency program in endo or perio, which specialty would you choose?

There are more GP's doing root canals, using apex locators and rotary, but the salary is still high for endodontists from the ADA report.

Implants are becoming more popular and periodontists are doing more of them, but perio seems to be less competitive and the lowest paid specialty.

Will periodontists salaries boom because of implants? Will GPs take over with root canals?

Thanks for your feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

The one I liked better, and would still be happy doing after 30 years of pratice.:idea:

If you had to choose between pizza and mexican for dinner tonight, which would you choose? I mean, mexican is tasty and is a little spicy, but can give you the runs afterwards. Pizza is good for those football games and a beer, but there aren't any football games until the weekend.

Which do you guys think I should choose for dinner tonight?

Endo.
In the near future, GPs will do the majority of both RCTs and implants. The income of periodontists from implants will decrease as GPs place more and more implants. In the forseeable future, there will still be value in retaining your own tooth so RCTs will still be desireable.

Anyhoo...these are not the best reasons to choose a specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you had the choice between a residency program in endo or perio, which specialty would you choose?

There are more GP's doing root canals, using apex locators and rotary, but the salary is still high for endodontists from the ADA report.

Implants are becoming more popular and periodontists are doing more of them, but perio seems to be less competitive and the lowest paid specialty.

Will periodontists salaries boom because of implants? Will GPs take over with root canals?

Thanks for your feedback :)
Whichever will pay more. Salary is definitely the only reason anyone should choose their jobs. :rolleyes:

Do endo, perio sucks.