Endocrine fellowship chances... new mom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi.. I am currently a PGY 2 Medical Resident who is pregnant and due to deliver in June 2021. I would be likely taking a 4 week maternity leave, and during the pregnancy had a 4 week break due to medical issues. What would be the best advice on applying for the 2022- endocrinology fellowship intake considering that I would have an extension of residency by at least 8 weeks ?

Is it even realistically possible for programs to offer and make changes in schedule even if there is a delay in start date ?
Or should I just wait this year and apply for the 2023 intake, while working on my application in the interim ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi.. I am currently a PGY 2 Medical Resident who is pregnant and due to deliver in June 2021. I would be likely taking a 4 week maternity leave, and during the pregnancy had a 4 week break due to medical issues. What would be the best advice on applying for the 2022- endocrinology fellowship intake considering that I would have an extension of residency by at least 8 weeks ?

Is it even realistically possible for programs to offer and make changes in schedule even if there is a delay in start date ?
Or should I just wait this year and apply for the 2023 intake, while working on my application in the interim ?
Would wait the year... endocrine isn’t so competitive that waiting a year will hurt your application...you would need to be up front about the extension of 2 months and you may find some places will give you interviews, but not a lot of places will wait 2 months... most programs have only 2-3 fellows a year.

Would wait the year... endocrine isn’t so competitive that waiting a year will hurt your application...you would need to be up front about the extension of 2 months and you may find some places will give you interviews, but not a lot of places will wait 2 months... most programs have only 2-3 fellows a year.
Thank you !

Members don't see this ad :)

Why would you have an extension? You can do like 3 months of maternity leave and graduate on time

Reactions: 1 users
It might be worth reaching out to programs you are interested in to find out which year they would recommend you apply. It wasn't endocrinology but when I was getting ready to apply for fellowship I wrongly assumed that being off cycle would hurt me and place me at a disadvantage when really they were happy to make it work out.

Why would you have an extension? You can do like 3 months of maternity leave and graduate on time
You can take 8 weeks of leave without extending your training. ook here:Special Training Policies for Certification | ABIM.org

Under the Vacation and Leave of absence policy, each resident can miss 5 weeks of time in each year. If we assume your program gives you 4 weeks of vacation, you have 1 week left of sick or other leave time. So, over three years, 3 weeks of leave.

Then, under the Deficits in training time policy, they can shorten you by 5 weeks. 5+3=8. If you only get three weeks of vacation, then it could be 11 weeks.

This assumes you have not used leave for other reasons. This isn't specific to maternity leave -- applies to everything

Last edited:
Also, even if you are extended, many endo fellowships will not care about a late start. I'd plan to apply, unless you want some gap time with your new baby.