Endocrinology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ViergeEnnuyeuse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here take a course on endocrinology at the undergraduate level? If so, did it help much with the MCAT and/or med school? Were the labs half decent?

Honestly I'm not looking forward to having to take this class especially if the labs are really boring. =\

Members don't see this ad.

ViergeEnnuyeuse said:
Anyone here take a course on endocrinology at the undergraduate level? If so, did it help much with the MCAT and/or med school? Were the labs half decent?

Honestly I'm not looking forward to having to take this class especially if the labs are really boring. =\

yeah though it didn't have a lab at my undergrad; instead we worked mostly based off journal papers and case studies, two of which we had as guest speakers that we could shoot q&a to. it was easily my most interesting bio class because of that, the prof, and how cool endocrinology is (very refreshing to learn clinically relevant info vs. just prokaryote genetics and the what not). i can't imagine it would be any less interesting anywhere else.

as for its help in the mcat, it defintely made studying a bit easier for parts of the biological sciences section but that's only a small leg of the 6 hour marathon.

ViergeEnnuyeuse said:

A big part of Clinical Chemistry (for Clinical Laboratory Science) involves quantitation of endocrine analytes - so I've had quite a bit. My background has helped in reviewing.

As for content on the MCAT - I have not seen too many specific endocrine questions that you couldn't answer without the provided passage. However, if you know nothing else, know reproductive hormones (from menarche to menopause) and know the renin-angiotensin system.

first thing that comes to mind when I think of UG endo are these 3 words:

Mark McGuire's gonads.

my prof (years ago when the andro rumors were flying) kept repeating this. cheap laughs but very illustrative of neg feedback.