May 4, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all,

I recently got diagnosed with endometriosis. Living in chronic debilitating pain during periods and some days without periods. I was recently accepted to med school and everything was working out for me when i got the news. I know, typical 2020. I just feel so defeated. Does anyone share the same experience and/or is in med school with chronic illness. I would love to hear some advice as to what i should do. I know 100% without this illness i would be extremely succesful. But now I dont really know how to feel. This is the only thing i want to do in life, and i dont know how i will manage through rotations and so forth. Again, i'd love to hear some advice.

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
Get out now

Or if you must...

I have written a ton of posts on the forum about chronic illness on this path.

Have you pursued every treatment you can? I know so many women who seem to suffer because they don't want hormones or an IUD to try to control this better. Or surgery - which doesn't have to threaten your fertility, but has other potential risks. But you have to do whatever you have to do to be present - sick days are unbelievably hard to come by and at great potential cost to your career starting in med school.

Work with your medical providers, be proactive about setting up that support system for medical school, and proactively reaching out for whatever academic accommodations you can get.

The reality is that if you can't get this under control enough not to need monthly time off, I honestly don't know if this is the path for you. That's OK. Sometimes our bodies determine our destiny. Chronic pain can be more than a part time job. I wish more people got that message.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads