eneterohepatic cycling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringmd1015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
why do alcoholics have reduced enterohepatic cycling of folate, and also with ileal disease you have decreased enterohepatic cycling, whats the reason?

Members don't see this ad.

95% of secreted bile is reabsorbed in the small intestine (terminal ileum). This involves bile acid transporters. These are damaged in ileal disease, impairing the ability to reabsorb bile and therefore reducing enterohepatic circulation.

Reactions: 1 user
Dietary folate (polyglutamates) must be hydrolyzed to monoglutamates by brush-border conjugase (pteroylpolyglutamate hydrolase) enzymes in the jejunum before absorption.
Brush-border conjugase activity (and, therefore, polyglutamate hydrolysis) are inhibited by alcohol and diseases like celiac, tropical sprue, sulfasalazine etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still in early stages of preparation, haven't touched any qbank yet (non-US IMG here). But after studying bio (RR) and physio (BRS), I'm very surprised to hear about an enterohepatic circulation of FOLATE! I just Googled it and found this

https://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/courses/path/innes/nh/cobalmin.cfm

***Liver is a major storage site, but releases folate only into the bile for reaborption in the jejunum and ileum. This process, refered to as the enterohepatic circulation, is necessary for maintainance of plasma folate levels. Alcohol interferes with the enterohepatic circulation of folate and can lower plasma folate levels within hours***

P.S. So many typos! (I just copied and pasted)

@Transposony so let me get this straight, with ileal disease, you have decresed folate enterohepatic cycling(also seen in alcholism bc of decreases brush border conjugase activity) but with ileal disease you have increased Bilrubin enterhepatic cycling?

@Transposony so let me get this straight, with ileal disease, you have decresed folate enterohepatic cycling(also seen in alcholism bc of decreases brush border conjugase activity) but with ileal disease you have increased Bilrubin enterhepatic cycling?
In ileal disease there is decreased enterohepatic cycling of folate since folate is secreted into bile and reabsorbed in jejunum and ileum.

In ileal disease there is decreased enterohepatic cycling of folate since folate is secreted into bile and reabsorbed in jejunum and ileum.
earlier you had mentioned bc of the GI conjugases which conjugate folate from the poly to the mono form. but rehardelss bilirubin cyclying is increased but folate is reduced. weird. with ileal disease still doestn make sense how you have increased bilirubin cycling but loss of bile acids.

earlier you had mentioned bc of the GI conjugases which conjugate folate from the poly to the mono form. but rehardelss bilirubin cyclying is increased but folate is reduced. weird. with ileal disease still doestn make sense how you have increased bilirubin cycling but loss of bile acids.
The most important pathophysiology of pigment stone formation is increased amounts of unconjugated (insoluble) bilirubin in bile that precipitates (with calcium) to form stones.
It can be due to:

1. Hemolysis
2. Ineffective erythropoiesis
3. Pathologic enterohepatic cycling of unconjugated bilirubin.

Three mechanisms of pigment stone formation in ileal disease or resection:

1. Ileal disease or resection → increased bile salts in colon → solubilize unconjugated bilirubin (from hydrolysis of conjugated bilirubin by β-glucuronidase) → prevents bacterial reduction to form urobilinogen in colon → increased enterohepatic cycling of unconjugated bilirubin → pigment stone formation.

2. Ileal disease or resection → decreased bile salt absorption → relatively decreased bile salts in GB to solubilize unconjugated bilirubin ( from hydrolysis of conjugated bilirubin by endogenous β-glucuronidase) → precipitation of unconjugated bilirubin in the bile → pigment stone formation.

3. Ileal disease or resection Vit B12/folate deficiency → ineffective erythropoisislysis of erythrocytes in the marrow itself or shortly afterwards → buildup of unconjugated bilirubin → pigment gallstones.

Bottomline: Normally, bile salts get absorbed in ileum so they don't mess with the bilirubin cycling but in ileal disease they reach colon and prevents bacterial reduction of unconjugated bilirubin to form urobilinogen leading to increased absorption of unconjugated bilirubin.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
2. Ileal disease or resection → decreased bile salt absorption → relatively decreased bile salts in GB to solubilize unconjugated bilirubin ( from hydrolysis of conjugated bilirubin by endogenous β-glucuronidase) → precipitation of unconjugated bilirubin in the bile → pigment stone formation.

Wouldn't decreasing bile salt absorption lead to increased cholesterol stones instead of pigmented stones? I remember UW saying that the deficiency of bile salts in the liver upregulates cholesterol synthesis so you have a higher ratio of cholesterol to bile salts so more cholesterol precipitates out to form stones.

@Transposony Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I think B12 deficiency takes several years to develop, and I am not quite convinced with the ineffective erythropoesis theory. I would much appreciate if you had any reference for that theory.