Engagement ring in the ED?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jus33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I start work in the ED soon and am also recently engaged with a beautiful engagement ring. I'm worried about having issues with it in the ED. Do most people wear their ring or take it off for work? I'd like to wear it but am worried.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I start work in the ED soon and am also recently engaged with a beautiful engagement ring. I'm worried about having issues with it in the ED. Do most people wear their ring or take it off for work? I'd like to wear it but am worried.

Thanks!

What exactly are you worried about?

You'll have trouble, depending on the style, with the stone and setting cutting through latex/nitrile/etc gloves. (If you have a tension setting, not so likely.)

Also, but less likely, it could cause some of the less-savory types that are more frequently to be seen in the ED to think it would be better purloined than on your finger.

I can't wear my college ring to work because it is simply too bulky and I don't need to bonk a patient or myself in the head with it. (And that pic is the only one I could find that really shows what it looks like on the hand - I am neither female nor black - it's not my hand.)

Members don't see this ad :)
When taking off my gloves, my wedding band can come off too if I'm not careful. You might want to be careful about this as well.

If you really want to have your ring with you at work, have you considered wearing it on a necklace?

hey OP, congrats!

I wear my ring. Not a tension setting. It hasn't been a problem in terms of poking through gloves. I do live in fear of it coming off when I take off gloves though.... Since I've lost necklaces in the ED, I don't dare put it on a chain. I think once I get married, I'll just wear the band and leave the stone at home.

Watch the Movie "Blood Diamonds" and then decide if you even want that ring at all!

I wear mine. At first I was nervous about it, but now I am just careful taking gloves off (esp the sterile ones that are tighter). But I would make sure it is insured first.