"Engaging diversity" secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ramona Flowers

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm attempting to pre-write a secondary for the question: "Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession."

I'm wondering if y'all think it would be appropriate to answer this question by speaking to my experiences working with folks who are homeless and/or struggling with substance abuse/SMI (serious mental illness)? I do feel these experiences have been foundational in teaching me to be non-judgemental, empathetic, and patient as a healthcare provider. I suppose I'm not certain that homeless or mentally-ill folks qualify as "engaging diversity," or if this question is meant for other types of "diverse" populations. Or perhaps I'm entirely misinterpreting the question, definitely possible. I appreciate any guidance here!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

One of the greatest realizations I had, when I worked in an addiction clinic, is how it doesn't discriminate and affects people from every socioeconomic class. I think your exposure to the vicious cycle of mental health issues, addiction, and homelessness could be a strong narrative. I would just recommend you format it in a way that emphasizes your internal growth due to the wide range of patients/people you interacted with.

Hi there! I'm attempting to pre-write a secondary for the question: "Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession."

I'm wondering if y'all think it would be appropriate to answer this question by speaking to my experiences working with folks who are homeless and/or struggling with substance abuse/SMI (serious mental illness)? I do feel these experiences have been foundational in teaching me to be non-judgemental, empathetic, and patient as a healthcare provider. I suppose I'm not certain that homeless or mentally-ill folks qualify as "engaging diversity," or if this question is meant for other types of "diverse" populations. Or perhaps I'm entirely misinterpreting the question, definitely possible. I appreciate any guidance here!

Thanks!
This will be exactly what they're looking for!

Reactions: 1 user