Ramona Flowers

2+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi there! I'm attempting to pre-write a secondary for the question: "Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession."

I'm wondering if y'all think it would be appropriate to answer this question by speaking to my experiences working with folks who are homeless and/or struggling with substance abuse/SMI (serious mental illness)? I do feel these experiences have been foundational in teaching me to be non-judgemental, empathetic, and patient as a healthcare provider. I suppose I'm not certain that homeless or mentally-ill folks qualify as "engaging diversity," or if this question is meant for other types of "diverse" populations. Or perhaps I'm entirely misinterpreting the question, definitely possible. I appreciate any guidance here!

Thanks!

May 23, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
One of the greatest realizations I had, when I worked in an addiction clinic, is how it doesn't discriminate and affects people from every socioeconomic class. I think your exposure to the vicious cycle of mental health issues, addiction, and homelessness could be a strong narrative. I would just recommend you format it in a way that emphasizes your internal growth due to the wide range of patients/people you interacted with.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
  1. Non-Student
Hi there! I'm attempting to pre-write a secondary for the question: "Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession."

I'm wondering if y'all think it would be appropriate to answer this question by speaking to my experiences working with folks who are homeless and/or struggling with substance abuse/SMI (serious mental illness)? I do feel these experiences have been foundational in teaching me to be non-judgemental, empathetic, and patient as a healthcare provider. I suppose I'm not certain that homeless or mentally-ill folks qualify as "engaging diversity," or if this question is meant for other types of "diverse" populations. Or perhaps I'm entirely misinterpreting the question, definitely possible. I appreciate any guidance here!

Thanks!
This will be exactly what they're looking for!

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads