Engineer looking to get into Medicine

Started by Aozkan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Aozkan

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Graduated in 2015 as an engineer. Looking to get into Med School.Quite serious about this change. What is the pathway that you'd suggest?
I'm aware I need to take the premed classes and raise my GPA.
Is there a structured postbac program that can help me with things Med schools require (extracurriculars,MCAT,prereqs etc..) ?


GPA : 3.27
Took a year of chemistry, physics. No org chemistry.
One Biology class.
No shadowing/volunteering
 
The first thing I'd do is remove your profile photo for anonymity. Then I'd ask you want you're looking for in a postbac and ask you what you've done to research this?
 
I'm not in medical school (I'm applying next summer for the 2021-2022 cycle), but I graduated in 2014 as an engineer so I can at least share with you what I have done to get to this point. Take it with a grain of salt, and I can get back to you this time next year to let you know if it was successful!

It was end of 2018 when I decided I wanted to pursue medicine. I support myself financially, so I knew quitting my full-time engineering job and going back to school full time wasn't an option. I started all this the Spring semester of 2019, and I am finishing up my last classes this semester! I plan to take Jan- Mar to study for the MCAT and take that in April, right before applications open in May.

I began volunteering at a hospital for 4 hours every weekend, and I also began volunteering at a hospice and another community organization for a few hours a month. For shadowing, I cold called some physicians in specialties that I was interested in and got about a week's worth of shadowing combined. With COVID now, I'm not sure how easy the hospital volunteering and shadowing are to come by, but there are a lot of community organizations that still need volunteers! I don't necessarily have hundreds of volunteering hours like other posts you'll see on sdn, but I picked a few organizations I really liked, and have been at them for almost 2 years at this point. In my opinion, when you're working full time but doing a few hours a month for a few years, that still says a lot!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Graduated in 2015 as an engineer. Looking to get into Med School.Quite serious about this change. What is the pathway that you'd suggest?
I'm aware I need to take the premed classes and raise my GPA.
Is there a structured postbac program that can help me with things Med schools require (extracurriculars,MCAT,prereqs etc..) ?


GPA : 3.27
Took a year of chemistry, physics. No org chemistry.
One Biology class.
No shadowing/volunteering
Start volunteering.
 
Graduated in 2015 as an engineer. Looking to get into Med School.Quite serious about this change. What is the pathway that you'd suggest?
I'm aware I need to take the premed classes and raise my GPA.
Is there a structured postbac program that can help me with things Med schools require (extracurriculars,MCAT,prereqs etc..) ?


GPA : 3.27
Took a year of chemistry, physics. No org chemistry.
One Biology class.
No shadowing/volunteering


You have not shadowed or volunteered.... volunteer at an ER for a year.... See how their life is like before you make a change.
 
Graduated in 2015 as an engineer. Looking to get into Med School.Quite serious about this change. What is the pathway that you'd suggest?
I'm aware I need to take the premed classes and raise my GPA.
Is there a structured postbac program that can help me with things Med schools require (extracurriculars,MCAT,prereqs etc..) ?


GPA : 3.27
Took a year of chemistry, physics. No org chemistry.
One Biology class.
No shadowing/volunteering

Hey there! I graduated with my engineering degree in 2017 and applied this cycle. I have a few DO and MD acceptances so far (with a lower GPA than you) so it's definitely possible.

Does your GPA have an upward or downward trend? With a strong upward trend, I think a low GPA is less of a negative factor.

I don't think there is a structured postbacc program that will help you get everything done but I can give you my two cents based on the DIY program I used.

1. I would get some shadowing/clinical volunteering experiences ASAP. Not only will this help you build your application, it will also help you solidify why you want to become a physician. Personally, I got my EMT license and used it to volunteer in some free clinics. Not only did my clinical work help me build my application, it also was a refreshing reminder of why I wanted to be a physician when I was feeling especially bogged down in organic chemistry or MCAT studying. EMT is a great option because in most states it will allow you to work/volunteer in a wide variety of clinical settings. It also doesn't take long to obtain the cert; I got mine in 12 weeks. You can also look into medical assistant or CNA programs.

2. Finish up your prereqs. Every school is slightly different but it is a safe assumption that you will need one more biology class and an organic chemistry class with lab. I recommend taking biochemistry as well, especially before you take the MCAT.

3. It's definitely possible to do self-study for the MCAT. Other people may have different opinions but I don't think you need to take a class to prepare. I feel my engineering background prepared me well for the MCAT and I assume the same will be true for you. It's a problem-solving/critical thinking test, not a rote memorization/regurgitation test.

I realize this reply is very broad and possibly not all that helpful. If you have more specific questions, I am happy to answer them. Always excited to "meet" other engineers transitioning into medicine. 🙂
 
Hey there! I graduated with my engineering degree in 2017 and applied this cycle. I have a few DO and MD acceptances so far (with a lower GPA than you) so it's definitely possible.

Does your GPA have an upward or downward trend? With a strong upward trend, I think a low GPA is less of a negative factor.

I don't think there is a structured postbacc program that will help you get everything done but I can give you my two cents based on the DIY program I used.

1. I would get some shadowing/clinical volunteering experiences ASAP. Not only will this help you build your application, it will also help you solidify why you want to become a physician. Personally, I got my EMT license and used it to volunteer in some free clinics. Not only did my clinical work help me build my application, it also was a refreshing reminder of why I wanted to be a physician when I was feeling especially bogged down in organic chemistry or MCAT studying. EMT is a great option because in most states it will allow you to work/volunteer in a wide variety of clinical settings. It also doesn't take long to obtain the cert; I got mine in 12 weeks. You can also look into medical assistant or CNA programs.

2. Finish up your prereqs. Every school is slightly different but it is a safe assumption that you will need one more biology class and an organic chemistry class with lab. I recommend taking biochemistry as well, especially before you take the MCAT.

3. It's definitely possible to do self-study for the MCAT. Other people may have different opinions but I don't think you need to take a class to prepare. I feel my engineering background prepared me well for the MCAT and I assume the same will be true for you. It's a problem-solving/critical thinking test, not a rote memorization/regurgitation test.

I realize this reply is very broad and possibly not all that helpful. If you have more specific questions, I am happy to answer them. Always excited to "meet" other engineers transitioning into medicine. 🙂
Hi! I'm an engineer planning to apply next cycle. Could I PM you with some questions? I'd love to hear about your experiences this cycle!
 
By all means, please do! Sorry it took me a minute to realize you replied.
I can't figure out how to send you a message, but thank you so much for letting me ask you a few questions! I'm interested to hear what schools you applied to and which ones (if any) liked that you have an engineering background. My gpa is a 3.49 and my sGPA is 3.63. I did a DIY post bacc with all A's to get my gpa's up to that because engineering classes didn't do my gpa any favors!
 
I can't figure out how to send you a message, but thank you so much for letting me ask you a few questions! I'm interested to hear what schools you applied to and which ones (if any) liked that you have an engineering background. My gpa is a 3.49 and my sGPA is 3.63. I did a DIY post bacc with all A's to get my gpa's up to that because engineering classes didn't do my gpa any favors!
Sent you a message! Let me know if you can't see it haha.