Engineering/Business Background Thinking about Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mg06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with an engineering degree last year and have been working in the business field for a year. Now I'm reconsidering my career options and am considering dental school. However, I lack the science background so I'm not sure where to begin.

Has anyone faced the same situation as me and what should I do? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated with an engineering degree last year and have been working in the business field for a year. Now I'm reconsidering my career options and am considering dental school. However, I lack the science background so I'm not sure where to begin.

Has anyone faced the same situation as me and what should I do? Thanks.

Uhh...it's gonna take you a few years. But if you have the determination and drive to go get all the pre-reqs and then study for the DAT...you should be good. :thumbup:

Where should I take the prereqs and what should I do in terms of extra curriculars?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where should I take the prereqs and what should I do in terms of extra curriculars?

The pre-reqs can pretty much be taken at any college/university. Although you should be careful of community colleges, since some Dental Schools won't accept any credits from them...however, I'm pretty sure almost all of them will accept some credits from community colleges. The prereqs are all listed on each school's website and they tend to vary from school to school, so you should check according to which schools you might want to go to. Other than this, basically get as much dental experience as you can as well as get involved w/ your community somehow to show that you're well rounded...do all this and you're golden.

Oh, and of course study for you DAT as well. :thumbup:

I was in your exact same boat three years ago, it took me a year to arrange things to where i felt comfortable leaving my job and going back to school. Two years ago i started my pre-req's and now i am applying to dental school. It can be done, it's also nice schooling the younger pre-med/pre-dent students in all the "tough" science classes. Make a game plan and a time line, set some clear goals and get to work.

What type of engineering? what was your GPA?

How should I go about getting a shadowing experience?