Engineering course for Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinniekan

Goldmember
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've done a search on whether or not Biomedical Engineering classes can be counted (or should count) for Science GPA. However, there are seem to be come conflicting/not-so-sure advices and I just want some clarification for sure (someone who has done this, or know somebody who has)

I have the following courses dilemma:

Biomechanics - Physics?
Material Science - Chemistry?
Static System - Physics?
Bioelectric - Physics?
Biological Transport - Physcis?
Biomaterials - Chemistry
Fluid Mechancis - Physics?
Biofluids - Physics?

The only reason I'm asking is because all these classes have materials that are tested on the MCAT (as denoted by the name of the course) therefore, I wasn't sure if listing them under sciences would be any problems?

Thanks for any expert advices

Members don't see this ad.

So I've done a search on whether or not Biomedical Engineering classes can be counted (or should count) for Science GPA. However, there are seem to be come conflicting/not-so-sure advices and I just want some clarification for sure (someone who has done this, or know somebody who has)

I have the following courses dilemma:

Biomechanics - Physics?
Material Science - Chemistry?
Static System - Physics?
Bioelectric - Physics?
Biological Transport - Physcis?
Biomaterials - Chemistry
Fluid Mechancis - Physics?
Biofluids - Physics?

The only reason I'm asking is because all these classes have materials that are tested on the MCAT (as denoted by the name of the course) therefore, I wasn't sure if listing them under sciences would be any problems?

Thanks for any expert advices

There are some other posts on this, you should search it up. Also it's really up to you, if you do classify it as BCPM and they dont think so they'll change it. Having it be on the MCAT so it might be BCMP is a little off since I know people who had passages that were PN junctions/semiconductors about holes/electrons so does the class say 'semiconductor device design' count as BCMP?

Here are my thoughts

Biomechanics - Physics?
Material Science - Engineering
Static System - Engineering
Bioelectric - not sure
Biological Transport - not sure
Biomaterials - Chemistry
Fluid Mechancis - Physics
Biofluids - not sure

The not sure because it depends on design oriented the courses are. Almost all engr courses are BCPM related but it depends on if it's more design/engineering focused or more science - physics/chem/bio focused, I dont know if that makes sense? Good luck!

There are some other posts on this, you should search it up. Also it's really up to you, if you do classify it as BCPM and they dont think so they'll change it. Having it be on the MCAT so it might be BCMP is a little off since I know people who had passages that were PN junctions/semiconductors about holes/electrons so does the class say 'semiconductor device design' count as BCMP?

Here are my thoughts

Biomechanics - Physics?
Material Science - Engineering
Static System - Engineering
Bioelectric - not sure
Biological Transport - not sure
Biomaterials - Chemistry
Fluid Mechancis - Physics
Biofluids - not sure

The not sure because it depends on design oriented the courses are. Almost all engr courses are BCPM related but it depends on if it's more design/engineering focused or more science - physics/chem/bio focused, I dont know if that makes sense? Good luck!

I thought if the courses weren't "chem XXX" "BioXXX" "physicsxxx", then those courses weren't considered science classes. In general, engineering classes don't count as science classes. I took a couple engineering classes in college and when i applied last cycle, i didn't list them as engineering. i even took bioengineering courses, but they didn't count towards my science GPA. good luck!

edit:
I just checked my AMCAS app from last cycle and I listed engineering classes specifically as "engineering", so they don't count towards your science GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
The system is stupid. All engineering should be counted towards science GPA.

I took biomechanics and biofluids too. I know people who put those down as biology courses and AMCAS didn't care. Just put down what you think they are and send it in. AMCAS gives you some room when it comes to classifying courses.

They don't really give the engineers credit for the coursework they take. Since all of my engineering classes didn't go to my BCPM GPA, I had like 8 courses that determined it instead of 20-30. It's pretty stupid.

I thought if the courses weren't "chem XXX" "BioXXX" "physicsxxx", then those courses weren't considered science classes. In general, engineering classes don't count as science classes. I took a couple engineering classes in college and when i applied last cycle, i didn't list them as engineering. i even took bioengineering courses, but they didn't count towards my science GPA. good luck!

edit:
I just checked my AMCAS app from last cycle and I listed engineering classes specifically as "engineering", so they don't count towards your science GPA.

OP, I think it all depends on you, here is an example

I put "introduction to thermodynamics" which is under the mechanical engr dept under chemistry and it was no problem and I could've easily put my fluid dynamics under physics and I am sure it would've been no problem.

Do what you feel like and see what happens; unless is extremely off I doubt AMCAS will change it.

Also, are you doing this to raise your BCPM? Good strategy. What I did was try to balance my BCPM and Cum GPA. Good luck.

Edit: also for classese that have the words, biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics you can definitely put it cause when I did that such as 'physics for mechanical engrs' it was accepted when I classified it as physics

OP, I think it all depends on you, here is an example

I put "introduction to thermodynamics" which is under the mechanical engr dept under chemistry

I was a BME. When I applied, I listed my thermodynamics class as "engineering" as it was a ME course, and when AMCAS was done verifying my app they "corrected" it for me and classified it as a chemistry class. I had an A in the class so didn't mind.

Bottom line: call AMCAS and ask them how to classify any class your not sure of. If you have a low grade, classify it as engineering unless they change it. If you have a high grade, I'd ask before listing it under a science department.

Thanks for all the advice, I guess it's a judgement call, although including some of the relevant engineering classes in my sGPA WILL improve my GPA significantly (+0.2)...