Engineering + Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMichEngineer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had a similar case to me.

I have a 3.35 science GPA and a 3.4 overall
Chemical Engineering
I have research from well know engineering professors
volunteering
Dad and uncle are dentist both from umich (shadowed dad)
Interned at a fortune 50 company (dow chemical)
Didnt like engineering anymore
Decided to apply and take the DAT in 4 weeks after going predent
Busted ass around my 9 hour workdays at dow
got an AA 19 TS 19 PA 20
got a 17 on the reading cause engineers cant read:confused:
wrote essay about how i am a cancer survivor
Got app in on sept 2 mailed out on sept 22 TODAY!

I am applying to umich, upenn, uconn, udmercy, ucla, ucsf, tufts, ucolorado, uillinoischicago.

what do you think my chances of getting in are. I really didnt pick a safty school - do they look at an engineers grade point differently because its harder?

there is also a chance i wont be able to get an undergrad degree in time? do you think that will hinder me?

Members don't see this ad.

You are a late applicant with average stats. Adding a few schools with lower admission stats is strongly recommended. Good luck! :luck:

Didnt like engineering anymore
Decided to apply and take the DAT in 4 weeks after going predent

Sounds a lot like me. I enjoy engineering, just not the career of an engineer. After a meeting with my dentist, I decided dentistry was a good career change and was in class two days later starting prereqs.

Your stats look pretty good, but as mentioned above, you are applying late in the cycle.

I applied last cycle, late and with low DAT scores (19/17/19) and got rejected in April. Over the past year, I have taken more prereqs, retaken the DAT, shadowed, volunteered, applied early, and currently have two interviews.

If you happen not to get in this year work hard over the next year to improve your application and make sure to submit it early. Some things you can do to improve application: more hours shadowing, volunteering, attend predental conferences, take more biology classes, retake the DAT (if you think you can improve significantly), rewrite your PS, apply as early as possible.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
me too! Cal Engineering! I am getting pretty lucky as an engineer, so who knows?

How late am i in the game. wasnt august 1st the first day you could submit.

tufts and umich seem to be around 3.4 and 19/19/19... what do you think the distribution of the two gpa, and dat are?

ehh. i think if i dont get in this year to one of those schools i may just wait and finish my undergrad,

i also have a pending engineering scholarship at KAUST. err i need to hear if im in

No. Most people sent in their app around June 1st. I am an engineering major with similar stats to yours. In order to be competitive, you have to apply early and your DAT scores have to be around the 20's to be considered for an interview by most schools. A lot of schools will probably tell you to retake the DAT and take more upper division courses.

GO ENGINEERING....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

APPLY EARLY--Hands down