Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Engineering Major applying in current cycle

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by BearEMT, 09.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. BearEMT

BearEMT

Medical Student
    Howdy SDN'ers,

I, like many of you, am currently sitting around waiting to hear back from med schools. I am currently trying to decide whether I should start looking at applying to grad schools as well as med schools just in case all doesn't go as planned in the next few weeks/months. I would very much appreciate your opinions on whether that would be a waste of time or something I should be seriously considering.

I am an engineering major, and unfortunately I have the GPA to show it. I am hoping med schools will take the difficulty of engineering into consideration when reviewing my app.

cGPA: 3.59 (TMDSAS)
    BCPM GPA: 3.32 (TMDSAS)
    MCAT: 33 (11 PS/ 11 BS/ 11 VR)

I am a Texas resident from a medically underserved community of <2000 people.

Shadowing:
    210 hours with rural surgeon/hospitalist/PCP (one doc who did it all in a small town)
    30 hours with anesthesiologist and residents at VA hospital
    Some shadowing during summer research internship at MD Anderson
    Interacted with ER docs during EMT-B school

Research:
    Summer internship at MD Anderson Cancer Center
    Worked as part of a team to isolate a novel mycobacteriophage and annotated its genome for a class

Other:
    I am a nationally/state registered EMT-B. I have never held a paying job as an EMT but I am the head of the on-campus First Aid Service Team at my university.

Various other community service activities

I am applying to all Texas schools and currently have an II from TCOM. It is also worth noting that my app was sent a bit on the late side; I submitted on 8/15.

Thanks in advance, and good luck to all who are waiting.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    You look good for TX.

About the ads