Engineering - Med School Transition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prawood

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little background, I finished my undergraduate in Chemical Engineering roughly 2.5 years ago. Decent GPA (~3.1) from a Top 3 program school in the country. I have been working in the Supply Chain Management role ever since graduating and currently managing my own department. I have about 12 people reporting/working under m. I feel, however, that my current position is not rewarding spiritually and I'm basically becoming a corporate stooge. Ever since I was a child, I did have the intentions to go into medicine, but my fear of blood as well as family pressure really held me back (All of my family members are Chemical Engineers, goes back 3 generations). Now that I am a little wiser and older (24), I've conquered my fears and ready to face new challenges.

I feel the medical field would be great, question is, is it too late now? Would I have to go through 4 years of undergraduate again? Is there anything I can get involved in with my engineering background. Would med schools even look at my application?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

A little background, I finished my undergraduate in Chemical Engineering roughly 2.5 years ago. Decent GPA (~3.1) from a Top 3 program school in the country. I have been working in the Supply Chain Management role ever since graduating and currently managing my own department. I have about 12 people reporting/working under m. I feel, however, that my current position is not rewarding spiritually and I'm basically becoming a corporate stooge. Ever since I was a child, I did have the intentions to go into medicine, but my fear of blood as well as family pressure really held me back (All of my family members are Chemical Engineers, goes back 3 generations). Now that I am a little wiser and older (24), I've conquered my fears and ready to face new challenges.

I feel the medical field would be great, question is, is it too late now? Would I have to go through 4 years of undergraduate again? Is there anything I can get involved in with my engineering background. Would med schools even look at my application?

Any thoughts?

PM me to discuss in more detail!

Definitely not too late to enter medicine, and no you shouldn't have to do 4 more years of undergraduate work to qualify for admission to medical school. I've heard some schools favor "career changers" that make the switch to medicine (for the right reasons, i.e. NOT just for the money), so adcoms would definitely look at your application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user