Engineering->Optometry? Advice needed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

euphaire

Blank
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted 10char

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I guess it really comes down to how many of the required pre-reqs have you completed? Most schools will accept you without a degree per se, but you definitely need to have the majority of the pre-reqs completed when applying.

It sounds like you have a strong science background, so studying for the OAT and taking it is not a bad idea (strongly recommend Kaplan study material and notecards). Also try your best to shadow an optometrist...keep searching for one to shadow because schools weigh "experience" rather heavily.

The likelihood of getting into optometry school with an OAT of 330TS and pre-req GPA of above a 3.0 is fair. However, if you are considering Waterloo....it would be really hard.

But definitely try to get some experience in the field to make sure this is what you really want. Like any other career, optometry can become monotonous and routine if not in it for the right reasons.

For more information about the OAT, required pre-reqs for different schools, and a brief overview of students accepted for each school, peruse this site http://www.opted.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I was in somewhat the same situation as you. I was studying Computer Science in my undergrad but by the beginning of my 3rd year I was certain that I didn't want to work as a Software Engineer and instead wanted to move towards optometry. I considered cramming in alot of classes towards the end to finish my prereqs but ended up finishing my degree and then spent the next year finishing the prereqs before applying and being accepted to optometry school.

I don't think the fact that you are a Engineering major instead of a biology/chemistry major when applying to schools will hurt you, but like the previous poster said, you should make sure that it's the field that you want to be in and why. That way, when writing your application essay and going to interviews, you've already thought everything out and have support for what brought you to optometry and why you are interested in it.

As far as what to do about when to apply I don't know how many prereqs you have done now and when you plan to take the OAT, but a good place to start would be to study/take the OAT this summer to see how you do and how you feel about starting the application process. If you do have alot of your prereqs done and good grades in those, you could apply early and hopefully it you were accepted, you could find out the requirements from that school (do they require that you finish your bachelors, or can you just finish the prereqs, etc) and adjust your spring semester accordingly. Most of all, I'd say don't be stressed. If you feel that having everything done for the 2011 application cycle is going to overwhelm you and impact your grades, then wait until the next year. This is a career decision you're making, and taking some extra time won't hurt as long as you get there in the end.

Good Luck!

Last edited: