Engineering VS Bio/Chem Major at UI vs ISU

Started by Thatch22
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Thatch22

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! Im having a horrible time deciding between these two. Isu will offer me a $5000 scholarship while I might get a $2000 one at Iowa.
Im planning on applying to med school and would like to have a major that I can fall back on. One of the majors im cosidering is Biomedical Engineering at iowa, or bio systems/civil/nuclear at ISU.
I hear engineering would be a bad choice though because its hard to maintain a good GPA?
frown.gif;wa91c11289ba819fd6
meaning no med school.
I could take the easier route of Bio or chem but I dont know what to do with that if I didnt get accepted.
Isu is about 2 hours closer and many of my friends are goin there while Iowa is far away but not as many friends.
About Me:
Have wanted to go into medicine forever. I Have shadowed 30+ hours.
Im 2nd in my class.
I'm worried that with a general science major I'm somewhat risking my future.
I'm a senior with a 3.934 GPA and am alright in math but not a genious.
If someone could give me some advice on which major and school I should choose that would be greatly appreciated because i'm stressing!!!
 
Everyone I've ever talked to about engineering and med school has advised against it, because of the difficulty. Most engineering courses are taught as grad level courses and grade very harshly. If you are genuinely interested in engineering and can't imagine yourself majoring in anything else, then go for it, but you will have to work much harder for decent grades than the guy who majored in biology.

Between ISU and UI: I don't know much about either college (except that I despise the hawkeyes), but the ol' SDN adage is "the cheaper the better" concerning UG. However, if you think that one or the other is worth the extra cash, then go there.

Bio or chem major: I know for a fact that a Chemistry degree has a lot of options if you somehow don't get into med school. Biology, not so much. Honestly, if you work hard and major in what you're interested in, you should be able to get into med school.

Hope this helps.
 
Thank you so much for your advice 🙂
From what you said Chem at ISU looks promising.
Also, if I do nt get into med school is it still possible to get into PA?
Or DO? (I don't know what DO is)
Also I got a 27 on my ACT without studying which isnt very good :/
I will hardcore study for MCATs though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a junior in chemical engineering, and recommend you absolutely not do engineering unless you couldn't imagine majoring in anything else, like I'm Not Superman said. He is correct in the statement that the courses are taught like graduate courses, at least once you get past sophomore year.

The worst part is most definitely the homework and projects/labs. I've spent 15+ hours on a homework before, and I'd say the average is around 5 per assignment. With biology and chemistry courses, you at least know what the hell the professor is going to test you on. It sometimes doesn't matter how much you study for tests, he'll throw on something you've never seen before. Happened to me just today.

However, civil engineering or industrial engineering is relatively easy compared to ChemE or Electrical Engineering, and I know plenty of people with really high GPA's in those degree that don't do nearly as much work. I'm actually reconsidering medical school based on my work experiences in engineering. I really love it, and could see myself doing it for the rest of my life.

TL;DR - engineering is potentially a GPA killer, but an awesome degree if you really want to study it
 
Thank you so much for your advice 🙂
From what you said Chem at ISU looks promising.
Also, if I do nt get into med school is it still possible to get into PA?
Or DO? (I don't know what DO is)
Also I got a 27 on my ACT without studying which isnt very good :/
I will hardcore study for MCATs though.

Yes it's possible to get into PA, I think the pre req classes are somewhat similar.

DO is basically an MD degree except they take the COMLEX, learn OMM, and they tend to have a harder time matching into competitive specialties (its not impossible though).

a 27 is a fine score.
 
Warning: physician assistant is not a good MD backup. Most PA schools will not accept a candidate who admits that they are using PA as a backup to being a doctor. DO is a better idea, although never admit that you are using any program as a backup.
 
You remind me of myself when I was in high school. I made decisions based on my best interest instead of what my heart told me to do. I'm a junior in college and I wish I had followed my heart to begin with. If medicine is your passion, you should pursue it.

As for your question, I very highly advise against engineering as an undergraduate major unless medicine is just a possibility/slight interest for you. If becoming a physician is your #1 goal, I would suggest choosing a major besides engineering.

The reason I say this is because I started off as an engineering major. Medical school has always been my #1 goal, but I also know the med school acceptance rates. I wanted to choose a major that would almost guarantee me a job if I failed at med school matriculation. I started in engineering and transferred after my first semester. I have been slowly rebuilding my GPA since then. I had to prioritize things in order to make a decision.....

What was more important to me: Medicine or Engineering?

I chose medicine and decided that if I stayed in engineering that my GPA would not be anywhere near competitive for med school. I knew when I switched that I was taking a leap of faith on my intellectual abilities, but it is a risk I think will pay off in the end. I switched colleges (I was at a primary e-school) and changed my major to Biology with a Biochem concentration. I've found that I enjoy my courses rather than despising them like I did in Aerospace Engineering.

Since I made the decision, I haven't looked back. I know that Biology is going to land me in a career that pays half the starting salary of an engineer, but engineering doesn't interest me. I realized that the only reason I even chose engineering was for the money. You should never choose anything for the money. If you don't love what you are doing, you don't need to be doing it. I wish I had had someone to tell me this when I was in high school. It has been 3 years since I graduated and I wasted one of those. I'm not trying to persuade you to choose another major because if you love engineering, you should do it. If you love medicine as well, you will find a way to make them both work.... even if that means you have to settle on PA or apply to DO school (DO schools have lower standard for admissions. I am not in anyway saying that DO is inferior.)
--------------------------------------------------

Now for DO.....

DO is the degree you earn when you graduate from an Osteopathic Medical School. It is a lot like MD except you are required to take a different test, the COMLEX, and you have to go through OMM (Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine.) I don't know much about it because it doesn't interest me. I do know that it is harder to gain acceptance into competitive residencies like Plastic Surgery and Dermatology. I've heard a lot of people say that DO is better for primary care, but that is just an opinion I think.

I'll cut this post off here in case you have some questions. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
 
First of I have to say thank you for everyone contributing their time to helping me!
I feel like JRWPREMED is in the exact situation as me!
I will be sure to take everything into advice when you say not to tell them it is your fallback.
That is mainly the reason I was considering engineering, the money and because its rigor would prepare me for med school. Knowing myself though I believe I would do better in a science like you, calculus doesn't come naturally to me 🙁
Are you planningon applying to med school JRWPREMED or anyone else that has posted?
It is my main goal to do go into medicine and I have drive. I just have to decide a major at my school. Chem? Biology? Anything else?
Do these courses involve alot of math?
Which do you think would have the best job oppurtunities IN CASE I dont make it to med/PA/DO school?
This is my future here so i'm just taking extra precation sorry about all of my questions!
 
It is natural to be nervous. Chemistry is about 40% math, 60% science. You will probably take Calc 1&2, possibly Differential Equations. If you have a strong Algebra base, you won't have too much difficulty in Chemistry until P-Chem. Job opportunities are good with a BS, great with a Masters.
Biology is more memorization intensive, little math, a LOT of information. Job opportunities are decent, not spectacular. As far as college choice, U of Iowa has the medical school, ISU is a good school as well, and it is hard to go wrong saving money. Good Luck!
 
First of I have to say thank you for everyone contributing their time to helping me!
I feel like JRWPREMED is in the exact situation as me!
I will be sure to take everything into advice when you say not to tell them it is your fallback.
That is mainly the reason I was considering engineering, the money and because its rigor would prepare me for med school. Knowing myself though I believe I would do better in a science like you, calculus doesn't come naturally to me 🙁
Are you planningon applying to med school JRWPREMED or anyone else that has posted?
It is my main goal to do go into medicine and I have drive. I just have to decide a major at my school. Chem? Biology? Anything else?
Do these courses involve alot of math?
Which do you think would have the best job oppurtunities IN CASE I dont make it to med/PA/DO school?
This is my future here so i'm just taking extra precation sorry about all of my questions!

Engineering was only my choice because I wanted a solid back-up in case I failed at getting accepted into medical school. I hated all of my classes once I got there.

I love that you mentioned that Calculus doesn't come naturally to you, because it didn't come so easily to me either. I had a 4.0 Math GPA in high school. When I got to college, I did horribly in math. I was in Aerospace Engineering, which is incredibly math intensive. I would have had to take Multivariable Calculus, Differential Equations, Numerical Methods, and various math intensive physics courses like Dynamics. Ugh. I quickly saw that if I stayed in engineering I would ruin my chances of going to medical school.

To answer your question on applying to medical school, I will not be applying this year. I have 4 more classes that I need and I'll take the MCAT. I'll probably apply to several medical schools next summer after I get my MCAT scores. I'm not sure what class I'll be... probably Class of 2018.

Now I'll try to explain a little bit about Biology and Chem majors....

A degree in Biology requires math, but that is really only for the Chem and Physics courses you are required to take. In my Biology degree, I have to take Chem, O-Chem, and Physics, but maybe the Bio degree at ISU is different. You really won't need Calculus unless you take Calculus based Physics. Some medical schools require two semesters of Calculus, some require one semester Calc and statistics, while others require none. The degree prospects for Biology are good, but not great. That is why I am putting my concentration in Biochemistry. Biochem has a lot of relation to medicine, so I know that if I don't get into medical school I can always fall back on medical research.

A Chem degree is a bit harder than Biology. Most chemistry majors make you take Calc I, II, and Multivariable Calculus. The only reason you are required to take Calculus is because of Physical Chemistry. I don't know much about it because I don't have to take it, but I've heard it is difficult and math intensive. The rest of the Chem degree is basically General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Analytic Chemistry, and their respective labs. My school specifically requires Calculus based physics for a Chem degree. That is another one of those Physical Chemistry things.

The best job opportunity is definitely going to be in Engineering, but it is so hard to hold a 3.0 GPA in it. I spent one semester in Engineering and came out with a 2.34. I switched to Biology and brought my GPA up to a 3.4. Your next best bet is going to be Chemistry, especially if your degree is certified by the American Chemical Society (ACS). Biology is one of those degrees that you really don't want to stop at a Bachelors. If you do major in Biology and don't get into medical school, I suggest going to graduate school for at least a Masters. You can also apply to medical school for five years as you make your application better over the years. After 5 years, you have to retake the MCAT.... Then you can apply again. If you know medicine is your thing, never give up. Every time you want to procrastinate, every time you want to go out and party the night before a test, remember what it takes to get into medical school. Remember your dream. I will admit that even that did not help me in engineering. The workload was so high that I just couldn't do it.

I would like to hit a little bit on something you said in your last message. It was about the rigor of engineering. I'd just like to let you know that the only pre-med prereqs that are in an engineering major are one semester of chem and Calc-based physics. The rest of the courses would have to be taken as electives. It is almost impossible to finish an engineering degree early. Most students even have to take a 5th year regardless. If you add the pre-med stuff to the degree, it is definitely going to be another year before you graduate. You have to fit a year of Biology, a year of Organic Chemistry, and another semester of Chem. The best bet would be to do your best to finish the engineering degree is 4 years and do what is called a Post-Bacc for the pre-med prereqs.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me anymore questions.
 
Thank you so much for all your advice everyone it has helped immensely! Since this last post I have accepted my fee to ISU and put my major as Biology. I may change it to Biochemistry still but I am not sure yet. Though I want to go into medicine I am still not 100% which leads me to be leinient on Biomedical or Chemical engineering which would have a fallback. Looks like i'm going for gold here though. Wish me luck! 🙂
 
If you want a backup plan then go with engineering. Science as a career is dead in America.

If you're 100% dead-set on medicine then choose an easy major. Medical schools don't care about major, they care about GPA. Maintaining a 3.6+ in psychology/sociology/business/communications is much easier than maintaining a 3.6+ in engineering/math/science.