Engineering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your opinion do you really think this is a plus? Most applicants that are engineers are usually biomedical which of course is a great advantage. I graduate with Environmental engineering this fall and all my research has revolved around this field as well as extracurricular activities, leadership, and student organizations. While environmental engineering is directly related to human health the sciences around it are more technical (hydraulics, hydrology etc...) than biological. I have had a paper published but it is 80% hydraulics, 10% chemistry, and about 10% biology. Most applicants did undergrad work or research in some way directly related to biology or chemistry. Do you think this will hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer: No, this will not hurt you.

I imagine you took the pre-reqs for med school. This, if you didn't notice, is the non-trad forum. I would say that probably the vast majority of people in this forum came from something other than medicine. I, for one, was a philosophy major and did research in that. I think that often med schools like a diverse student body, that is not everyone there is a Bio major.

There are many things that could hurt your application, research in enviromental engineering is definetly not one of them.

I have heard that research is good in whatever field. Of course it is probably best in the medical sciences, since that is most relevent, but research, no matter what the field, gives you that experience in critical thinking and problem solving that will still be seen as a plus, even if the subject matter is unrelated.

That is what I have heard anyway. Zero personal experience to back that up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that research is good in whatever field. Of course it is probably best in the medical sciences, since that is most relevent, but research, no matter what the field, gives you that experience in critical thinking and problem solving that will still be seen as a plus, even if the subject matter is unrelated.

That is what I have heard anyway. Zero personal experience to back that up.

Well, a few years from now if I get in anywhere, I may ask if my research (computer science with a couple of conference papers published) helped any. If so, I'll report back.

To echo what's already been said, I don't think that your background or research field will hold you back by any means. I am a mechanical engineer, I worked in a nuclear power plant for a year, and now I'm taking the remaining pre-reqs for med school while volunteering at a hospital in the trauma center. Research is, for the most part, research. Most schools don't require it, almost all encourage it, and it can be in just about any field.

In your opinion do you really think this is a plus? Most applicants that are engineers are usually biomedical which of course is a great advantage. I graduate with Environmental engineering this fall and all my research has revolved around this field as well as extracurricular activities, leadership, and student organizations. While environmental engineering is directly related to human health the sciences around it are more technical (hydraulics, hydrology etc...) than biological. I have had a paper published but it is 80% hydraulics, 10% chemistry, and about 10% biology. Most applicants did undergrad work or research in some way directly related to biology or chemistry. Do you think this will hurt me?

First, I think that most people respect the engineering fields. So, I don't think this will hurt you at all. Also, while different, there are many parallels to what many scientists do in terms of conducting research. So, while the subject matter may have been a bit different, the PROCESS is similar.

Also, you could even suggest that the hydraulics/hydrology will give you a leg up in understanding the minutia of the cardiovascular system, as well as getting a handle on the technologies involved in patient care. You could draw many parallels, even if it may require a bit of imagination. But, it's valid.