Engineering

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only taking 2 of the five AP's I was going to take (Psych and APUSH). I plan to just take the AP Exam for Psych and not for APUSH.

I was curious to know that since I'm only taking 1 AP Exam from my original schedule, what other AP exams should I take?

Better yet, what would be good AP Exams to take for a major in BME?

I'm planning on hopefully being prepared enough come next May to take the Calc exam.

Besides Psych and Calc, here are is a list of other AP's.

Please tell me which would be worth my time (which I will have a lot of) senior year to study.

List:

Biology
Chemistry
Stats (necessary?)
Environmental (necessary?)
Physics B
Physics C
----

I'm thinking about taking next may the following exams:

Calc AB (not BC)
Psych

and not taking the APUSH exam (it won't help me whatsoever).

Stats I can take in college easily
same with Bio...chem...physics. If I can get myself into Calculus I, I should be good to go it seems.

The thing of it is, is that at CC's, they have like a bunch of math classes you need to take before you can even take precalc. I'd be better off studying math on my own on the weekends or something.

If worst comes to worst, I can always CLEP out of precalc at some point this year, and hop into Calc I at the CC.

Realistically: I'm thinking that just solidifying my Algebra/Trig/Precalc knowledge and acing the Precalculus CLEP Exam would be the best way to go because I will be able to take Calculus I my first semester of college in a class format.

Thoughts on what to do?

No BS please. This time I'm not fooling around.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you study for the CLEP instead of AP Cal. So then, if you pass you could jump right into Cal 1 at a CC. If you plan to be a engineer major you need Cal 1 & 2 maybe 3.

Also, how is your english?

I know CCs require you take a bunch of remedial english classes if you don't test into college level English. (well at least in California they do)

I thought you did not like math? well....if your not good in math my suggestion is take AP calc. Even if you get a 1 on the AP...you should still be able to get a B+/A in Calc 1 at a college. You can take stat in college. Forget Psychology....self study the AP its suppose to be one of the easiest. You CAN take AP tests without taking the class....

you really want to be an engineer? heres my advice:
Take AP CHEM, CALC, Physics B (no way your ready for physics C)
when you get to college, retake all those classes to get an A (incase you get <3 on the APs) and then move on with engineering. You can take the Calculus Based Physics course (= Physics C) at your college.

Members don't see this ad :)
are u dual enrolling or going to CC then transfering to a 4-year university?
anyways, u should focus on the math. ur 'realistic' option seems like the best route to take. calc wont be a piece of cake to self-study if u dont know trig/pre-calc really well so study and ace the CLEP exam so u can go to calc at the CC. if that fails, take the calc AB exam. taking and AP psych and APUSH doesnt seem like a bad idea either. psych exam is pretty easy if u know the material and APUSH is a bit more challenging but if u do well, u wont have to take introductory coursework in us history. overall, i think u have a good plan. but personally, i say take statistics at the cc if u can. its really not that hard imo

I suggest you study for the CLEP instead of AP Cal. So then, if you pass you could jump right into Cal 1 at a CC. If you plan to be a engineer major you need Cal 1 & 2 maybe 3.

Also, how is your english?

I know CCs require you take a bunch of remedial english classes if you don't test into college level English. (well at least in California they do)

My English is strong.

What would you recommend taking in case I do?

Lang/lit? either or? both? neither?

I'm only taking 2 of the five AP's I was going to take (Psych and APUSH). I plan to just take the AP Exam for Psych and not for APUSH.

I was curious to know that since I'm only taking 1 AP Exam from my original schedule, what other AP exams should I take?

Better yet, what would be good AP Exams to take for a major in BME?

I'm planning on hopefully being prepared enough come next May to take the Calc exam.

Besides Psych and Calc, here are is a list of other AP's.

Please tell me which would be worth my time (which I will have a lot of) senior year to study.

List:

Biology
Chemistry
Stats (necessary?)
Environmental (necessary?)
Physics B
Physics C
----

I'm thinking about taking next may the following exams:

Calc AB (not BC)
Psych

and not taking the APUSH exam (it won't help me whatsoever).

Stats I can take in college easily
same with Bio...chem...physics. If I can get myself into Calculus I, I should be good to go it seems.

The thing of it is, is that at CC's, they have like a bunch of math classes you need to take before you can even take precalc. I'd be better off studying math on my own on the weekends or something.

If worst comes to worst, I can always CLEP out of precalc at some point this year, and hop into Calc I at the CC.

Realistically: I'm thinking that just solidifying my Algebra/Trig/Precalc knowledge and acing the Precalculus CLEP Exam would be the best way to go because I will be able to take Calculus I my first semester of college in a class format.

Thoughts on what to do?

No BS please. This time I'm not fooling around.

Bio, Chem, and Physics are all important for Engineering and for Med School. Its not absolutely required since you can take them in college. Its also school dependent if you can get credit for these classes. If you don't get credit for them, it wont matter since you have to retake them. But if you do get credit, then definitely take them since you save time and money.

are u dual enrolling or going to CC then transfering to a 4-year university?
anyways, u should focus on the math. ur 'realistic' option seems like the best route to take. calc wont be a piece of cake to self-study if u dont know trig/pre-calc really well so study and ace the CLEP exam so u can go to calc at the CC. if that fails, take the calc AB exam. taking and AP psych and APUSH doesnt seem like a bad idea either. psych exam is pretty easy if u know the material and APUSH is a bit more challenging but if u do well, u wont have to take introductory coursework in us history. overall, i think u have a good plan. but personally, i say take statistics at the cc if u can. its really not that hard imo

I'm dual enrolling at a CC. And then attending a CC for a year before I go on to a four year uni.

My English is strong.

What would you recommend taking in case I do?

Lang/lit? either or? both? neither?

Well first I suggest you take the CC english placement test. If you pass, then you should be able to take college level English.

If you don't pass, ask the CC if they take SAT (Verbal/Writing) or AP scores, so you can exempt and enroll in college english.

I'll have to check. I took a placement test already and passed the reading/writing and they said they don't look at writing on the SAT.

so idk..

I'm dual enrolling at a CC. And then attending a CC for a year before I go on to a four year uni.

oh well in that case, i'd say you take all ur general education requirements in social sciences and humanities and math up to cacl 1 or 2 and stats at CC (u could even earn an AA degree). make sure the credits u take will transfer to whatever university u plant on transfering to be sure u know how many credits the university will let you transfer. no use in taking lots of classes and not having them transfer.

as far as math goes, u should just CLEP out of pre-cal and go to calc 1 and if that fails, take the ap bc which will give u credit for calc 1 and 2. then u can take more advanced math classes at the univer. if ur not a math person then just take ab but engineering requires lots of math

for a BME major, classes like biology, chemistry, and physics will be required. u could take the AP test and do well or u could take one or two introdcutory classes in the CC and transfer the credit. that way, when u go to a 4-year uni, u can focus on the hard-core classes for your major

as for AP exams. u should take psych, AP ushistory, and perhaps AP environmental science if you want

4-year universities also have limits to how much credit they'll give via Ap so make sure u know how much u can and plan accordingly

if u dont mind me asking, what university do u want to transfer to. knowing where u want to go can make the entire process a lot easier since u'll know all the transfer rules and whatnot

oh well in that case, i'd say you take all ur general education requirements in social sciences and humanities and math up to cacl 1 or 2 and stats at CC (u could even earn an AA degree). make sure the credits u take will transfer to whatever university u plant on transfering to be sure u know how many credits the university will let you transfer. no use in taking lots of classes and not having them transfer.

as far as math goes, u should just CLEP out of pre-cal and go to calc 1 and if that fails, take the ap bc which will give u credit for calc 1 and 2. then u can take more advanced math classes at the univer. if ur not a math person then just take ab but engineering requires lots of math

for a BME major, classes like biology, chemistry, and physics will be required. u could take the AP test and do well or u could take one or two introdcutory classes in the CC and transfer the credit. that way, when u go to a 4-year uni, u can focus on the hard-core classes for your major

as for AP exams. u should take psych, AP ushistory, and perhaps AP environmental science if you want

4-year universities also have limits to how much credit they'll give via Ap so make sure u know how much u can and plan accordingly

if u dont mind me asking, what university do u want to transfer to. knowing where u want to go can make the entire process a lot easier since u'll know all the transfer rules and whatnot

University of Maryland. They accept a ton of stuff from my CC =).

University of Maryland. They accept a ton of stuff from my CC =).

ok. UM will accept a maximum of 60 credit hours and for a bioengineering major, u'll have to take up to calc 3 and differential equations. my advise to you is to go to the UM website and make sure to know all the rules and regulations for transfering credit and your chosen major and plan accordingly. If do some careful planning and take advantage of your dual enrollment opportunity, u could end up graduating eary and saving a lot of money!