English as a Second Language Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK. I get the impression I am not alone as a non-native speaker in this forum. So I am curious as to

1) What is your mother language?
2) How long ago did you started learning english?
3) How do you feel is enhancing or hurting your chances to make it into PharmSkool?

Since I'm kinda new, I apologize if you all talked about this before and I missed it. No search engine available so be patient with me.
Thank you! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

English is actually my 3rd language :) , German is my second.

1) What is your mother language? Bosnian
2) How long ago did you started learning english? In February 2006 it will be about 7 years
3) How do you feel is enhancing or hurting your chances to make it into PharmSkool? Well its School, not Skool :p , but I don't know I wont be applying for another 3-4 years or so.

I'm only 16 By the way ;) , turning 17 in March

usi said:
OK. I get the impression I am not alone as a non-native speaker in this forum. So I am curious as to

1) What is your mother language?
2) How long ago did you started learning english?
3) How do you feel is enhancing or hurting your chances to make it into PharmSkool?

Since I'm kinda new, I apologize if you all talked about this before and I missed it. No search engine available so be patient with me.
Thank you! :love:

1. I grew up in Hong Kong and so my first language is Cantonese.
2. I've been learning vocab and grammar in English since kindergarten. However, you'll never get a chance to speak English in Hong Kong so basically, I started practicing my speaking English when I started college here 3 years ago.
3. well, I think that being multilingual is always a plus. Also, it opens up my aspect and gives me more prospective because of my cultural background.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if ur accent is American then put English is ur first language even though u are born in another country. I know this girl came to United State for 5 years and she is now 18 and her accent is so americanlized and she put in her application for Berkley California English is her 1st language in her country, and they did not even question her..so yeah =\ she lied because she thinks putting English 1st language will help her, i dont know if it helps or not but it seems she got in the school, she is attending Fall 2005

I had learned British English when I was in Hong Kong for 14 years and it took me a long while to accustom myself with American English. My writing instructor could tell from my writing style that I "learnt" British English. And some Americans asked if I'm from Malaysia because I have British accent... I don't know if it's a good thing. But as long as I speak proper, understandable English then it should be fine, right?

BTW, I know that non-native speakers are required to take TOEFL for pharmacy schools. But do we need to take TSE as well?

WorcesterPHOBoy said:
Well if ur accent is American then put English is ur first language even though u are born in another country. I know this girl came to United State for 5 years and she is now 18 and her accent is so americanlized and she put in her application for Berkley California English is her 1st language in her country, and they did not even question her..so yeah =\ she lied because she thinks putting English 1st language will help her, i dont know if it helps or not but it seems she got in the school, she is attending Fall 2005

According to my friends I have only a trace of an accent. I learned english as a third language after spanish and italian, more than 10 years ago. Still, I am proud of my heritage and so I just will not lie about it.
I want to get into school, but not to the extent of sacrificing my values. I think a university will question you only if the verbal and writing portion of the PCAT is really bad, or you failed a few english classes.
Am I wrong to think this? Anybody out there believes they did not gain acceptance based solely on their language, not on their stats?

panadacoke said:
I had learned British English when I was in Hong Kong for 14 years and it took me a long while to accustom myself with American English. My writing instructor could tell from my writing style that I "learnt" British English. And some Americans asked if I'm from Malaysia because I have British accent... I don't know if it's a good thing. But as long as I speak proper, understandable English then it should be fine, right?

BTW, I know that non-native speakers are required to take TOEFL for pharmacy schools. But do we need to take TSE as well?

Do you still have to take the TOEFL if you are an American Citizen and did your college and highschool in the US?
I am guessing no.

usi said:
According to my friends I have only a trace of an accent. I learned english as a third language after spanish and italian, more than 10 years ago. Still, I am proud of my heritage and so I just will not lie about it.
I want to get into school, but not to the extent of sacrificing my values. I think a university will question you only if the verbal and writing portion of the PCAT is really bad, or you failed a few english classes.
Am I wrong to think this? Anybody out there believes they did not gain acceptance based solely on their language, not on their stats?
I just wanted to comment on how well your english is. There are many native English speakers who can't even form appropriate sentences! Good luck!

Trancelucent1 said:
I just wanted to comment on how well your english is. There are many native English speakers who can't even form appropriate sentences! Good luck!

Thank you so much! I do like to work on it. But you will still find some of my wrong usage. Is tough for every one to distinguish when to use which vs that, or on vs in. We'll get there... ;)

My name is Ajda Karavdic and I am new to the forum. I am Bosnian too (this is the first time I see two Bosnian people on the same forum besides Bosnian forums). I have bachelors in Biology from Indiana University. I came to USA 6 years ago not knowing any English whatsoever. In time, I learned English and I some Spanish (enough to communicate but not to translate). I don't think language is the barrier at all. I had professors that I couldn't understand at all but they were proferssors and I was the student. So, it is doable.