English as a second language

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile2001

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wonder if anyone who English is the second language got accepted into pharmacy school? which schools?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Me.

Accepted to University of Houston.:biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)
Me. I think there are lots of ESL folks on SDN. At least this thread is more universal than the thread like "Vietnamese here? Indian Here? Koreans on sdn "etc. I was about to post "Any Southeast Asians here?" but there are already too many ethnic threads .. at least I fit in here..hehe..

I am! I got accepted to Wingate! I had couple other interviews but I am waiting to hear back from them.

I believe most schools accept ESL students, as long as their english is good enough to communicate with patients.

Just wonder if anyone who English is the second language got accepted into pharmacy school? which schools?

Thanks
I am, eventhough my English is horrible

I am, too, even though I have to admit that most people in pharmacy school are either born in the US or have been here since childhood (that is, they have natural accent). But well, I guess that makes us even more special. My suggestion to you would be to practice answering questions before an interview (with a friend or just by yourself). Speaking with an accent still much better than "You know, I mean I wanna go to pharmacy school because like it's like a great job plus like i wanna take care of people when they are sick and stuff, ya know".

I have to admit that most people in pharmacy school are either born in the US or have been here since childhood (that is, they have natural accent)..
That's sad. I guess those who came here when they're older didn't get accepted due to visa or language problems.

I am not one of those though. I came here when I was 21. I took phonetics class to minimize my accents. And my original language is rich of vowels and consonants, which make it a bit easier to adapt my intonation. I am still in process of adapting and imitating. it's fun.

Thanks[/quote

ESL positive. accepted into two schools, TJU and LECOM Erie.

English is my third... got in to Shenandoah, PCAT verbal was 60's:(

I've seen you speak Russian (and English obviously)--what else do you speak?

I was, to Temple and The Ohio State University

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm ESL too, got accepted to USN :love:

Funny thing, the admissions assistant told me on the interview day that out of 48 people interviewing on that day only 12 were born in the US. I was very surprised.

I was born in Lithuania, I had to learn that one as well.:laugh:

Thanks for all your feedback.
Yet, I am still working on the accent, but it's not so bad.
I have a problem with writing and every school ask you to write an essay as part of the interview process. I got 2.0 on the PCAT writing on both sections. I just feel like it never going to get better !

Mine was 13, seriously. My tofel IBT is 107/120.
PCAT doesn't really represent one's English ability, but more vocabulary based. :D

That's sad. I guess may those who came here when they're older didn't get accepted due to visa or language problems.

I am not one of those though. I came here when I was 21. I took phonetics class to minimize my accents. And my original language is rich of vowels and consonants, which make it a bit easier to adapt my intonation. I am still in process of adapting and imitating. it's fun.

Interesting, I never knew a class in phonetics could help u minimize ur accent.

A friend of mine who attends USN said she participated in interviewing students this admission cycle. She mentioned that many people come with superb grades but because English is their 2nd language, they can not express themselves well and therfore score poorly.

I'd say 1/2 my class is either ESL or very fluent in a second language. I can't really tell which is which. We have a decent Persian contingent, several Russian speakers, and many varieties of Asian (Korean, Viet, Chinese). But that's part of the USC attitude towards admissions I think. Given the community they operate in ESL is generally a good thing.

english is my third language.I have been in USA for 4 years. I had a 82 on my verbal. I got accepted to LECOM.

English is my second. Here in the U.S. for 6 years. Got accepted to UCSF.

You guys are awesome! :thumbup: I have been to the USA for four years, but my English still sucks!

Me too. English is my second language. I have been in U.S for about 4 years, and I learned most here. Got accepted to 3 so far: PBA, Nova, Midwestern CCP.

English is my second language too. I have been here in the US for the past 4.5 years. I have been accepted to PBA :) so far. Good Luck :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: to you all.

Please advise me!

I'd got interview offers from 6 schools and did two of them; however, I had rejected from both two schools.

I'm afraid that I would be rejected from all 6, seriously..:(

My stats might be okey.( that's why they invite me though..)
Many people who has lower GPA and PCAT percentage got accepted.

My major problem might be an interview.
Cause my poor English, my voice sounded just like crying when I responded the interview questions.
I lost my confidence.
Interview is really tough for me.
How can I improve my interview skill?

I'm really depressed and worried about my upcoming interviews.:scared:

Hey sk8erboi.

I think you should practice your interviewing skills by having a friend or someone you know ask you questions and see how you respond to it. Then you can ask them for feedback.

With practice your confidence should increase.

good luck!

Please advise me!

I'd got interview offers from 6 schools and did two of them; however, I had rejected from both two schools.

I'm afraid that I would be rejected from all 6, seriously..:(

My stats might be okey.( that's why they invite me though..)
Many people who has lower GPA and PCAT percentage got accepted.

My major problem might be an interview.
Cause my poor English, my voice sounded just like crying when I responded the interview questions.
I lost my confidence.
Interview is really tough for me.
How can I improve my interview skill?

I'm really depressed and worried about my upcoming interviews.:scared:

Ask your doctor for an anti-anxiety drug :)

English is my second language. low verbal score on PCAT, but my TOEFL is pretty hight. But I got accepted to VCU and wait listed at Howard. :p

I was born in Moldova, and raised in Moscow - Russia... so I spoke Moldovian and then Russian.

Surely, my vocab section of the PCAT suffered because of it, but I think it helped being a foreigner during interviews.

Thanks

I was. USC.
Good luck!

wow... there are so many ESL students!
English is my second/third language.
my PCAT Vocabulary score was 63...
just cannot know what they gonna to ask.
TOEFL 100+ with a particularly low score in speaking,
due to the english education style in my native country...haha
I just got my first acceptance from Temple U,
but my English still sucks. hope I can improve in the future.

English is my second language, and I got in U of WA and Shenandoah. ;)

Yea yuh, ESL people! w00t!

Been here from Indonesia for almost 5 years now. I got accepted to USN, MCPHS, and Touro.

Watch a lot of tv, that should help :D

Been here for less than 4 years and got accepted to USN even though I still have to work more on my English. GL.