English BA -> Med School (Help!!!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hansolothejedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title pretty much sums it up. I'm not sure if I'm a "non-trad," but at 25 without any pre-reqs, I think I'm pushing it...

I. I'm not mathematically inclined. I failed Calculus, but it wasn't required to graduate. Do I need to re-take it for most MD programs?

II. Are post-bacc programs worth the extra expense?

III. If not, do schools care where you take your pre-reqs? (Community college would be considerably cheaper than State U.)

IV. If I wanted to start school ASAP, what would be a reasonable schedule (starting Spring 2011)? Are there any classes that I should avoid taking at the same time?

Members don't see this ad.

The title pretty much sums it up. I'm not sure if I'm a "non-trad," but at 25 without any pre-reqs, I think I'm pushing it...

I. I'm not mathematically inclined. I failed Calculus, but it wasn't required to graduate. Do I need to re-take it for most MD programs?

III. If not, do schools care where you take your pre-reqs? (Community college would be considerably cheaper than State U.)

IV. If I wanted to start school ASAP, what would be a reasonable schedule (starting Spring 2011)? Are there any classes that I should avoid taking at the same time?

I. Some, but not all MD programs, do require calculus. What's more, an F on your transcript just doesn't look good AND it is factored into your AMCAS science GPA, so I say retake it. There might be ways around retaking if, for example, you only apply to schools that do not require calculus, but there is no way around that first F being factored into the all-important science GPA.

II. I don't think a formal post-bacc at a private school is worth the money, but one at a public school could be as it will help to ensure that you get a committee letter, which makes things easier come application time.

III. Personally I would avoid community colleges because some medical schools do frown on these courses, but if you know for sure that say, you are only going to apply to your state medical school and you know for sure that they accept cc courses, then I guess it would be ok. It might limit your other options, however. Are there any other public schools other than community college and state schools in your area?

IV. Yes, you can start in the winter/spring. Just be careful not to overload your schedule since it sounds like you need to pump up your GPA. If you work full-time, I would definitely not take more than 2 science classes (that includes calculus, by the way) and maybe only one if you have little limited time to study or just want to ease back into things.

Ya you must start tour education..in addition to this i suggest you to start some online education so that you easily get job...

Online classes generally do not count for med school prereqs. If you must work full time, many schools do accept cc credits and see that as a valid reason you took them there, but it is very school specific, so beware. The F in calc is a problem. I'm pretty sure many programs require 2 math courses, usually split up for many as 1 semester calc, 1 stat, but again, it's very school dependent. There are very few schools that require 2 semesters of calc, but they do exist.

Please remember that while you should take calc again, the F does not go away for MD schools. DO has grade forgiveness, but with MD everything you have ever taken will show up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am right there with you. I have a B.A. in English, but am not satisfied with my current job. I've been looking into some Lab Tech programs, and most of them require many science prerequisites as well as a handful of letters of recommendation from science professors or science-field supervisors. I feel very frustrated and confused. It seems as though a person would have to know that they wanted this career as soon as they graduated from high school.

Ya you must start tour education..in addition to this i suggest you to start some online education so that you easily get job...

Inane answers with no intelligence or reason behind them do not belong here. I'm not a moderator, but I am a nontrad, and spamming annoys me. Take your worthless answer somewhere else. Your link suggests you might have more luck with your spamming at allnurses.com.

Ok I didn't read beyond the title so first of all sorry about not really addressing your questions...

Second of all, I was an English major in undergrad and am the same age as you and currently applying. DO IT! Best decision I ever made. It's not as difficult to get back into the swing of things as you might expect because a lot the prereq's have to do with work ethic, which only increases when you get older and more mature.

I was an International Studies and Spanish double major at a top 20 school, and quickly realized how useless that was. Graduated in '07, started taking pre-reqs in Jan '08 and got accepted to UIC last week. It's totally not too late to do this, but here are the factors I'd consider before choosing how to proceed:
1. Cost
2. Timeline
3. Location
4. Specific programs to which you will apply.
Formal Post-Bac:
If you want this done quickly, there's no better way than a formal post-bac. They're competitive, but they'll get you through in roughly 18 months, set you up with clinical experience and reference letters, all much faster than taking classes ad-hoc. The downside is that they're expensive and generally do not allow time to work. The only exception to that rule that I have found is Northwestern. Their post bac is designed for working people in that it offers night classes and still keeps a fairly short timeline, so that's an option if you're employed, assuming you can find a job in the chicago/evanston area. It, like many other post bacs does require calc for admittance, so keep that in mind. If you don't have to move in order to do a formal post bac, or if you can afford not to work, It's easily the quickest and easiest route. Do realize, however, that the lifting yourself up by the bootstraps-I-worked-two-jobs-and-rocked-my-prereqs story will gain more sympathy than the I spent fourteen grand to go to Hopkins for a year and a half gig. Also consider that taking out loans to pay for a post-bac that you don't finish is about the worst thing you can do. If you make it though, it's possibly one of the best decisions you could make, but if you eff it up, you're up **** creek. Getting a Science course or two under your belt before applying would be a wise choice.
Cobbling Classes Together at a State School:
An unforseen drawback of this method is the fact that you are generally seen as a non-degree seeking student and therefore are placed at the bottom of the class selection pool. At Illinois, a school with no formal post bac, I was relegated to frantically adding classes after the fourth day of the semester, hoping what I wanted was available. Upsides include a dramatic decrease in price over traditional post-bacs at private schools, no likely relocation for you (from the sound of it), and neat stories about the stress of making this happen all by yourself. And though most schools will never say it, if there are two colleges within a reasonable distance of your home, and you choose the lesser of them, you will be at a disadvantage. It looks better if you go to the state school over the community college, so be prepared to defend that choice if you go the other way. The biggest downsides, in my opinion, are related to larger class size. Large classes make individual instruction difficult and recommendation letters impossible to come by without a lot of extra effort. I found it neigh on impossible to make it to office hours regularly enough to feel good about asking profs for letters. Finally, because classes are primarily offerred during the day, it's hard to do the state school thing and work. you'd have to get a night job (not too difficult in a health profession, but still stressful). Scheduling conflicts will add to the time it takes you to finish, so keep the community college thing on the table for those classes that are just too hard to get into.
Community College:
Upsides: Cost (by far the cheapest method), Stress (equal footing with all students on registration), Learning Environment (smaller classes, more opportunities for points, and way more professor interaction than a state school), Schedule (they offer evening and night classes so you can work, and this will get you through faster), Location (no way you'll have to move).
Downside: Reputation (as I mentioned, you'd have to explain why you went there over a bigger name school)

With regard to Calc, You gotta take it again. I'd go with the community college on that one along with the first Chem or Phys course. Saturate your head with math for a while. Realize that a lot of post-bacs require Calc to get in, and will accept one or two pre-req courses taken at other schools, not requiring you to repeat them. If you're working, i reiterate someone else's comment suggesting you take only two sci courses at a time. Even if you're not working, I'd take at least calc asap so you can apply to whatever post bac you like.
Looking ahead to the MCAT, a formal post-bac will make its own preparations or suggestions, but if you're going the do it yourself route, I'd take a Kaplan or Princeton review course that has a lot of practice tests. A good MCAT will go a long way to dispel any concerns they have about the quality of your science education.
This is probably a lot more information than you bargained for, but if you need anything else, feel free to message me back here. I'm a bit self conscious about my punctuation and parentheticals since I know I'm talking to an English major, but I'll bite the bullet on that one ;).
Good Luck
MTF

I graduated with a BA in politics, so here's my two cents:
I. Retake it. Not all schools demand calculus, but almost all demand some sort of math. And an unanswered F will destroy your science GPA.
II. I did a post-bac program. It was expensive, but it had some perks. First, it gave me all the classes and people to talk to about them. I had advice, and a solid committee letter. Second, I got to take advantage of my post-bac school's relationship with med schools. I ended up applying for a linkage program, which was excellent. Once I was accepted to that (about halfway through the prereqs), I knew exactly what I had to get to go to med school. That was great. And finally, the cost isn't THAT bad. Given how deep in debt I'm going to be by the time I finish med school, what's a little more?
III. Probably not. Your degree probably says more than where you took some classes. Get A's and crush the MCAT.
IV. 2 sciences and 2 labs are probably the most you can take at once. I'd do Chem/Bio your first year, Calc over the summer, and Physics/O Chem the second year, with the MCAT that May.

Good luck!

Inane answers with no intelligence or reason behind them do not belong here. I'm not a moderator, but I am a nontrad, and spamming annoys me. Take your worthless answer somewhere else. Your link suggests you might have more luck with your spamming at allnurses.com.
Spamming the SDN forums is against our TOS, and we will immediately ban any spammers and remove their posts from the forums.

As an FYI to all of you, SDN is apparently being mass-spammed by online schools at the moment; this was the third spammer I've come across today. Please hit "report post" (the little triangle with the exclamation point) if you see anyone creating a new account to post spam links (including in their signatures) on any of the forums. I don't read every post in every thread on this forum, so I need your help to avoid letting any spam slip through the cracks.

I. I would retake Calculus to show that you can do it. An F is a terrible thing on the transcript. I know of some schools that DO NOT require Calculus (look in the MSAR).

II. Yes and No. Some of them guarantee you acceptance into their medical school if you can be accepted and manage to meet their requirements. I personally would not do one of those.

III. From my experience, go the State U. route. I've heard from many many medical school professors/advisors that they prefer a 4-year university over a community college. That could raise a red flag during your interview. If the nearest State U was considerably far away from you they may be more understanding than you trying to save money (unfortunately CCs have a reputation for being watered down).

IV. A lot of these classes go in sequence. Chem I then Chem II then Org I then Org II. You'll have the physics classes and biology classes, etc. In most schools it would take you roughly four semesters to complete the requirements specially because of the chemistry classes (depending where you go it could be spring 11, summer 11, fall 11, spring 12). Good luck on your journey!

Spamming the SDN forums is against our TOS, and we will immediately ban any spammers and remove their posts from the forums.

As an FYI to all of you, SDN is apparently being mass-spammed by online schools at the moment; this was the third spammer I've come across today. Please hit "report post" (the little triangle with the exclamation point) if you see anyone creating a new account to post spam links (including in their signatures) on any of the forums. I don't read every post in every thread on this forum, so I need your help to avoid letting any spam slip through the cracks.
Thanks for the heads up!